Sunday, June 14, 2015

Camp Blanket

IMG_2913

Late this afternoon, Lily returned from her first Girl Guide summer campout at Camp Samac. It was the first time she slept in a tent, started her own fire, and cooked her own food on open flame. She had a great time.

IMG_8540

She has had a successful year at Girl Guides and collected many badges for her sash.

IMG_8541

I have been working on this camp blanket for awhile. It has our family badges from the 1950s, 60s, 70s, and early 80s, and now a few from 2015 from three generations of guides. I used a Hudson Bay Company fleece pointe blanket. Once Lily finishes Guides, the badges from her sash will be transferred to the blanket.

IMG_2910

Here is a close up of a few of the badges from the 1950-60s that belonged to my aunt.

IMG_8434

I also thought I would share the “sitapon” Lily made for camp circles. It is made from an old rice bag filled with newspapers and sealed with duct tape.  She said it worked perfectly.

IMG_2915

I also made her a pillowcase using Peanuts campfire fabric.

IMG_2917

Have a great week and thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. It's amazing that you still have all those family badges. What a unique and special keepsake! I love the idea of adding them to the blanket over the years. She looks like she had a great time camping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have all those family badges. What a special treasure. Congratulations to a successful and special weekend for your little camper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful souvenirs on this camp blanket... maybe some day there will be a fourth generation added...

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea to use all those badges on a blanket. Sounds like Lilly was off to have a great weekend. I remember making sit upons when I was in scouts as a little girl. I didnt stay in scouts long. Im not sure why. lol, my mother used to give me a quarter for my dues and I was supposed to walk to the meetings on mondays after school. but I would find my way to the little corner store and buy a can of faygo pop and a stroeman brownie! 13 cents for the pop and a dime for the brownie... now a can of pop is a 1.00 or more and so are the brownies! crazy! anyways, I would make it to the meetings but with out my dues! my silly mother should have given me an extra quarter!
    have a great week
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the blanket has three generations of badges. Such a wonderful tradition that someone in your family started.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!