Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Pysanky with natural dyes

IMG_8298

Last evening, I participated in a pysanky workshop hosted by the Kosa Kolektiv using all natural dyes. The dyes were made from tumeric, onion leaves, walnut, red cabbage, and beets.

IMG_8303 IMG_8304

The design is created by applying a heated beeswax.  The tool for applying the wax is called a kitsa.   After the design is applied, the eggs is submerged.  Natural dyes take longer to adhere than commercial dyes and the intensity of the dye is far less opaque.

IMG_8305

After the egg is dyed, the beeswax is removed  by rubbing the egg with oil and then heating the surface of the egg with a candle.

IMG_8307

The instructors brought in so many beautiful examples of their pysanky.  Some of the eggs were etched with a vinegar solution – you can see the texture in the egg below.

IMG_8302

IMG_8308

IMG_8314

IMG_8312

I have not mastered applying the beeswax so the design of my eggs was (ahem) simple compared to the inspiration eggs. I definitely need more practice. 

IMG_8315

I recently found the eggs, below, at a thrift shop. They are wooden eggs.  When Michaels was having a sale I picked up at least a dozen unpainted wooden eggs. I think my next pysanky attempt will be using wooden eggs (mistakes can be easily repainted!).

IMG_8316

Thanks for stopping by and for those celebrating, I wish you a joyous Easter and Passover celebrations!

4 comments:

  1. beautiful eggs! wow! I would love to try that. I love easter so much and I have so much fun decorating and creating for it. have you see the papermache eggs at walmart that you can dye and keep from year to year? I may buy some today. not sure what I will do with them but I want to play!
    have a great day !
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful class you took, so educational and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderful! I have never tried pysanky but would love to one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty. I have never tried this method before but it does look complicated. Have a lovely Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!