Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Earth Day 2015: Bee Hotels

 

beeroyal

“Bee Hotel: a sustainable resting space for solitary pollinator bees.”

Recently, I have seen a number of bee hotels pop up throughout my neighbourhood.  Below are examples using mostly hollow bamboo stakes gathered in cans or boxes.

beehotel2

The next photos are examples of bee hotels made from natural materials such as logs, twigs and pine cones.  These bee hotels are on display at a Toronto Botanical Gardens pollinator exhibit in First Canadian Place.

IMG_8388 IMG_8387

IMG_8385

IMG_8386

IMG_8384

A few years ago, I saw this cedar bee hotel at the Royal Winter Fair.  I snapped a photo of it because I thought it would be easy to replicate the concept using cedar scraps.

beehotel

For this year’s Earth Day project, we made our own bee hotel using scraps of 4X4 cedar left over from our deck project.

IMG_8344

The holes are about three inches deep using at long 1/2 inch wide drill bit. The unit is affixed the fence with a small L bracket. It is an easy project and we will likely make more.

IMG_8350

IMG_8351

Happy Earth Day and thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. What a fun project! I've not seen bee hotels before. We seem to have lots of wasps that have made hotels around our house in the past. I'd definitely rather have bees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting, I'd never heard of bee hotels before... happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bee hotels! What a fantastic idea!
    Happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it! My uncle is a beekeeper. Simple and effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first time I have heard of a bee hotel! Just recently, we have had a group of people raise bees in the city. I think it's a wonderful initiative :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so many cute ideas! who'd a thunk? bee hotels! dont really like bees,, but realize the importance of them.. so I try to respect them. as long as they leave me alone.. I leave them alone! lol! Hope youre enjoying the spring! have a great weekend and Happy Mothers Day!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!