Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Hockey Sweater

IMG_7992

I have noticed an abundance of Leafs merchandise at the second hand shops (coinciding with a historic losing streak). This repurposing project has been in my mind for awhile.  I wanted to make a hockey jersey for my daughter’s doll, but the NHL does not license patches for sale.  Solution: a fan scarf! Fan scarves are generally less than a few dollars at the thrift shop and during a losing streak you might be able to get one for free.  This scarf is from 2013 and was $2.  It has two patches.

IMG_7990

I then carefully cut out the pattern pieces using the Scientific Seamstress knit top pattern. (Instead of a hemmed edge,  I used ribbing.)

IMG_1414

It worked perfectly. She is carrying my dad’s vintage Leafs stick signed by Howie Meeker.

IMG_1412

Hope is very pleased! Happy stitching!

1 comment:

  1. Oh she looks great! Can we put her on the ice instead of Phaneuf? She can lead this team to victory.

    Seriously, you did a great job on the doll sweater. Take care of that vintage stick. My husband collects Leaf memorabilia and some of the values shock me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!