Sunday, January 25, 2015

Robbie Burns

IMG_1358

Although there is no snow on the ground, the air was frigid. We braved the wind chill and joined the St. Andrew’s Society at Allan Gardens to celebrate Robbie Burns’ birthday without our kilts.  The event included piping, singing Happy Birthday, Auld Lang Syne, and the address to the haggis. The haggis was delicious (although I had reservations).

IMG_1293

After the event, we headed over to the MacKenzie House Museum for more Burns celebrations.  The girls had a chance to use a 170 year old printing press and print out Burns’ Selkirk Grace on paper.  They were permitted to roll the paper through the press and apply the 2000lbs of pressure to make the print.  The prints were top notch.

IMG_1332

IMG_7852

IMG_7864

IMG_1331

IMG_1328

After the exhibition, we congregated in the museum’s kitchen for another feast of haggis, shortbread and cider.

IMG_7873

IMG_7880

While it was too cold for us to wear our kilts, the dolls dressed up for the event.  IMG_1360

Sewing Notes: These outfits were whipped up using scraps. These are the free patterns I used: Bear Dolly and Moi’s  Vest pattern, American Doll Outfitter’s Beret pattern,and You can Make This Reversible  Wrap skirt

Happy Burns night from our family to yours and thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. What a fun outing for the girls. Their dolls are absolutely adorable in their outfits too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu do the best stuff with your girls! I do have to say.. there would have been no way that I would have tried the haggis. LOL!
    I love american girl dolls.. Bethany has one somewhere. but I see at least 4 more in my future... for some little grandpies..
    happy day!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my goodness, I never knew haggis was so big (or did I misinterpret the picture?). I think it's great for us to show the younger generation what technology was like in the olden days. All too often they think it is just electronic gadgets :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!