Saturday, August 30, 2014

The boyhood home of Almanzo Wilder

IMG_0234

Today, we took a day trip to the Almanzo Wilder property located in upstate New York, near Malone.  This is where Almanzo’s early days took place as recounted by Laura in Farmer Boy. The house is original - including some of the floor boards so today we walked where Almanzo walked.

IMG_0236 The barns have been rebuilt three times, most recently in 1991. 

IMG_0216

IMG_0221

The management does not permit photography of the building interiors. The main house is furnished in period furnishings, including rope beds for the boys.  There is no original furniture, but there is a bed cover which did belong to the Wilders.  The curators also uncovered the famous black mark on the parlour wall which Almanzo recollects.  The barns have period farming tools and sleds as as very interesting wool display. There are no animals on the property.

At the time of our visit, there were only three other families so we had an individualized tour which was very informative.  The girls really enjoyed the chance to pump water from the same well where Almanzo would have collected the water each day.

IMG_0227

Almanzo also would have enjoyed climbing this maple tree which is original to the property.

IMG_0232

The girls had a chance to pick apples from the orchard.

IMG_0218

There is a visitor centre / gift shop stocked with interesting LHP items.

IMG_0219

IMG_0208

IMG_0210

IMG_0212

IMG_0214

This was a fun outing and the first stop on our LHP tour.  Next summer, we plan to visit Minnesota and continue the tour. 

I hope you are enjoying the long weekend and thanks for stopping by!

IMG_0245

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely place to visit. It's great to experience life as it was. I'm beginning to wonder why we don't have similar places to experience the lives of famous Asian authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tour! LHP was a favourite of mine too! I find it ridiculous that they did not allow taking pictures of the interior.
    Love your dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful!!! I just found their website so I could see a couple pictures of the interiors. I look forward to doing these kinds of trips when my kids are older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun you must have all had. Such sweet pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful trip! And you are all in period costume - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew about the LHP houses/museums in Minnesota and Missouri, but I didn't know about this one. That is one thick maple tree! Well, it would be fun to join you on your LHP museum visit in Minnesota next summer! I haven't been there yet even though it's in my back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how wonderful that you got to visit Almanzo's boyhood home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun! Especially love all your costumes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of a LHP tour! So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A LHP tour sounds like a great idea! It looks like you had a fabulous time. I've yet to share these books with my children but when I do I hope they will love as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!