Friday, January 31, 2014

Happy Lunar New Year!

For those celebrating today, our family wishes you a Happy New Year! 
My interest in Lunar New Year celebrations began when I had a chance to visit Hong Kong in 2003.   After that trip, I was eager to learn more about how the holiday is celebrated.
When Lily was born,  we received a Qipao infant dress from a family member who was teaching in Asia. I love Qipao dresses and thought it would be fun to take a photo of the girls in a Qipao each year – hence the beginning of the lunar new year photography project.  By the time Lily turns 12, we should have a photo for each Zodiac sign.  This is the 2014 photo - the graphics are scanned from the special edition Pinkie Pie CNY My Little Pony packaging.
CNY2014
Next week, the girls will perform two songs in Cantonese at their CNY concert.
My girl friend recently returned from Hong Kong.  During her stay she took some photos of CNY decorations and CNY miniatures dioramas . She allowed me to share them here.
PicMonkey Collage
Can you believe the details in these amazing miniatures? The miniature dioramas depict traditional food and celebratory customs.
CNYMiniaturesCollage
CNYMiniatures2Collage
Happy New Year and have a wonderful weekend (the artic temperatures left last evening and we are preparing for more snow!)
Gong Hai Fat Choi,
signature

6 comments:

  1. Happy Year of the Horse! Thank you again for the decorations. We are looking forward to celebrating CNY for several days. Those miniature displays are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you are amazing - so dedicated to your annual photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Chinese New Year! The girls look so cute in their dresses - what a wonderful tradition. And the miniatures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always look forward to your yearly CNY photos. We hope to attend a CNY library program, it'll be the first CNY thing we've ever been to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that your library is holding a program. Our library has a celebration this coming weekend too!

      Delete
  5. The shopping mall looks very familiar! I love the qipao. My granny wore them from young until the 80s when it went out of fashion (unfortunately), and my mum's secondary school uniform was a pale blue qipao!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!