Friday, December 13, 2013

Santa Lucia

IMG_7243
Today is Saint Lucy’s feast day, the beginning of the Christmas season in Scandinavia and the first day of the Pickled Herring’s annual Scandinavian Christmas series.  I am participating this year and will be posting next week .
Lily is wearing her new St. Lucia crown.  When we were at Toronto’s 31st annual Swedish Christmas Fair in late November, I purchased an adjustable plastic light up St. Lucia crown (luciakrona). I wasn’t keen on the plastic, so I cut out some leaves from thick wool felt (purchased at Paduro Hobby in Norway back in 2010).  I  hot glued the felt leaves to the crown and added red pompoms.
IMG_7244
IMG_7231
I thought I would share some photos from the Fair which included a beautiful and moving St. Lucia pageant. 
There were also a number of craft stations set up for children and an interesting market place featuring Swedish handicrafts and groceries.
IMG_7083
IMG_7059
IMG_7049
IMG_7061
IMG_7042
IMG_7069
IMG_6342
IMG_6356
IMG_6357
IMG_6351
Today, I promised Lily I would put a saffron bun in her lunch.  { She  loves the buns from  Ikea’s frozen food section!}
IMG_6360
Night walks with a heavy step
Round yard and hearth,
As the sun departs from earth,
Shadows are brooding.
There in our dark house,
Walking with lit candles,
Santa Lucia, Santa Lucia!
Night walks grand, yet silent,
Now hear its gentle wings,
In every room so hushed,
Whispering like wings.
Look, at our threshold stands,
White-clad with light in her hair,
Santa Lucia, Santa Lucia!
Darkness shall take flight soon,
From earth's valleys.
So she speaks
Wonderful words to us:
A new day will rise again
From the rosy sky…
Santa Lucia, Santa Lucia!

have a lovely weekend! signature

6 comments:

  1. Lily's crown is beautiful! The pom poms fit perfectly with the deep green leaves and make the crown really festive! I know that you follow Scandinavian crafts especially regarding Christmas and can't wait ti see your next project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a beautiful job with the crown. Lily looks very pretty! And those buns look so yummy - I'll have to look for them the next time I'm at Ikea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did with the crown... sooo cute! and better yet.. so cute on your daughter! Love those curls!
    what a fun way to celebrate.
    Have a great weekend. Im hoping that the snow holds off.. I just need to finish a bit of shopping! lol abd I hate driving in that white stuff!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter is just beautiful. Your crown transformation is so pretty. What fun you will all have celebrating. I had no idea about those buns at IKEA. I must look for them the next time we are in the Detroit area. Christmas hugs from a very snowy West MI.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the first time I've heard of Saint Lucia's Day - thank you for sharing.I love how you made the crown instead of using the plastic one. Now I'm wondering whether IKEA sells those buns over here in my part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great modification to the crown! Glad Sankta Lucia Dag (belated!) :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!