Sunday, November 17, 2013

Miniature Sears Wish Book

IMG_6252
Last year was the 60th anniversary of the Sears Wish Book.  Inside this special issue there was an interesting history of the Wish Book and some images of back issues over the past 60 years.  You can find a little about the history of the Wish Book here.     Before their was  online shopping, many rural and remote communities relied on the Sears catalogue when many other retailers were reluctant to ship and local options were few.  While I didn’t grow up in a rural community, I always recall when the Sears Wish Book would arrive and scouring pages full of interesting toys and canopy beds.
Image001 (10)
Image001 (12)
I kept a few pages from this special issue because I thought it would be nice to use these images for miniature wish books for our doll house. We reproduced the image with a colour photo copier and glued them to sturdy foam core and scrap book paper. {You can find the retrospective on my flickr stream here}
IMG_6254
IMG_6257
Updated: Today, we viewed the Santa Claus Parade.  The Wish Book had its own float and the girls caught one of the Wish Book teddy bears.

The retail component of Christmas is on full display in the city.   The Hudson Bay shop windows have been on display for over two weeks.
IMG_6944
Happy crafting,
signature

10 comments:

  1. How fantastic! Thank you for sharing. I think a few of my dollhouses need a sears wish book too! Isn't your dollhouse looking festive for the approaching holidays.

    PS. I remember laying on the floor with my sister looking at the Sears catalog circling items for Christmas with crayon and pen. Such fun memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized you have a blog, I'm following you now on Bloglovin and I see I need to check you out on Flickr too.

    I always wanted a dollhouse, why Santa brought me a farm, I don't know! Your dollhouse is sweet!

    I saved that catalogue, I must get it out and take a look at it again. I did live in a rural area, I saved up and bought my first Barbie and also a set of the first three Nancy Drew books from the Sears catalogue, it was a big day when that order arrived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, I have added you to my reader too. We love Barbie and Nancy Drew in these parts.

      Delete
  3. OH!! you just reminded me that I can get my christmas doll house out!! and I have the perfect spot for it in my craft room! love that little book you made.. Ive got to pop over to your flickr to check it out!
    have a great week.
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sisters and I used to pore through every page in that wish book! I love your Pepper dolly in the kilt! (Or is it Tammy?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Tammy! She was at the bottom of a box of toys at the Salvation Army Thrift Shop. I think we paid 1 or 2 dollars.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea! I might do that with my English textbook catalogs.
    I love it when you post pictures of your dollhouse - I always discover tiny and amazing details :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever idea to make mini-wish books. My husband used to pick stuff from the wish book that his paternal grandparents would buy.

    BTW I got a darling surprise in the mail on Saturday!! You are too sweet!! She is absolutely darling! Thanks a million

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever and cute idea to make the mini Sears catalogs for the doll house :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful addition to your doll house! I remember those books - I wonder what your dolls are wishing for? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!