Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Book Slings for the Bunk Beds

IMG_7002

The girls share a bedroom with bunk beds. The room is small and the height and placement of the bunk beds does not permit bedside tables. I decided to make them some book slings so that they could keep their current reading material at arms reach.

IMG_7026 

(Above photo: she memorizes Robert Munsch books and reads them aloud. About 18 months ago,  she was so-so about reading, and then she discovered Munsch books).

I used this tutorial and this tutorial ( I used the second tutorial for the construction because I wanted a hidden channel). These book slings are completely reversible.  The double rod hardware was found at Lowes (which now ships free in my area).  Normally, I am not fond of border prints but I bought this fabric on impulse almost two years ago (it is the pink and blue Bernartex House and Home) .  The inside print is the coordinating non-border print.   The hardware is drilled into the studs and I used thick 1” dowel (48 “ long) (available at Home Depot for about $3 a rod).

The project is a useful one and a nice option for bunk beds.

IMG_6988

Have a great day!

signature

8 comments:

  1. I have long admired a similar project. They turned out fantastic. So glad your readers enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book slings are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea!! I must show this project to my sister too. Hugs to your sweet readers! They make the perfect models.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. I think they would work with beds too especially if the bedroom is too small to put anything other than a bed and a wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfect for bunk beds!
    (We had bunk beds for 10 years, then just recently passed them on to someone else)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful project I have always wanted to make for my kids room but never actually did. I love it - especially the vintage fabric! It's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always mean to make the kind that hang from the springs as a dust ruffle but I've never gotten around to it.

    Very sweet (and adorable photos of your girls).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now THIS is an especially great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!