Saturday, October 5, 2013

World Space Week October 4 to 10, 2013

"The General Assembly declares 4 to 10 October World Space Week to celebrate each year at the international level the contributions of space science and technology to the betterment of the human condition"
UN General Assembly resolution A/RES/54/68
6 December 1999
As this is World Space Week , I thought I would post about our trip to the Kennedy Space Centre.  (Both the Kennedy Space Centre and NASA websites are down right now due to the government stoppage so I will have to insert the links at a later date.)  World Space Week celebrates “the contributions of space science and technology to the betterment of the human condition.” This year’s theme is Mars.
photo (9)
During our Florida summer vacation, we took a day trip to the Kennedy Space Center  to see the new Atlantis Exhibit and have lunch with an astronaut. Awesome experience! Here we are in our galaxy t-shirts with Sam Durrance who was a member of the Colombia crew (mission STS-35/Astro-1) and Endeavor crew (mission STS-67/Astro-2).
IMG_5808
IMG_6260
As Canadians we were very proud to see the Canada arm as well as the IMAX documentary with Commander Chris Hadfield and the International Space Station. 
IMG_6261
At the gift shop we picked up Sam Durrance’s mission patches as  well as Commander Hadfield. Every manned and unmanned NASA mission has a patch and the crew influence the design.  I stitched the patches to our solar system wall hanging.  Mission patches are fairly inexpensive, but make a great souvenir. [There is an interesting article here about a quilter who make a quilt from three decades of mission patches.]
IMG_6068
IMG_6170
For one our World Space Week crafts, the girls  designed their own mission patches inspired by their Kennedy Space Centre souvenir photos. Kind of cute!
IMG_6156IMG_6157
Image001
Happy World Space Week!
signature

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience for your girls! Love their photos :) I have a few mission patches too from when I worked on the Shuttle... a very long time ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fantastic! I love these family pictures. What a great trip and memories for your girls. Emma's marching band show this year is devoted to space. Their line formations create the shape of planets. It looks so cool from the top of the stands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been very exciting for you and your girls! Great photos (I am in love with your galaxy tees and dresses from the intro pics) especially the last ones with the girls as astronauts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know there was a world space week, your awesome galaxy t-shirts were the perfect thing to wear to Kennedy Space center. You know, we went there and I don't remember everything. It was so long ago we didn't even have our digital camera yet...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! So did you all enjoy the Kennedy Space Center? We've never been but are thinking about it. Once upon a time in the 80's I got to attend a lecture by the first 2 Canadian astronauts - it was pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed it very much! I went to the centre as a teenager and this was my first time back. The Atlantis exhibit is really amazing. I wish we could have seen both IMAX films as well, they are in 3D .

      Delete
  6. looks like a fun and educational trip! I went there many years ago with my mother while visiting her in florida. we just drove out there, we didnt go in! but what I remember mostly, were that there were aligators sitting on the side of the road! seriously! all I could think, is I hope we dont get a flat tire here! LOL! and.. speaking of space.. Im dying to go see Gavity. but hubby doesnt want to go.. (such a party pooper!) so I will have to get a friend to go.
    have a great weekend!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!