Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Where the red fern grows: You were worth it, old friend, and a thousand times over {Ramsey August 8, 2003-October 29, 2013}

ramsey stairs2
Yesterday, with profound sadness and heavy hearts we said good bye to our Ramsey.  It was sudden and we were unprepared.  
We had our last walk on Thursday evening - my sister and I took Ramsey for a walk to pick up the girls  from school.  The next day, he barely moved. I  made an emergency appointment to see the vet at the animal hospital. He had become anaemic and the tests and x-ray revealed a massive silent tumour around the spleen as well as an internal bleed. We made the painful decision to put him down.
The past 24 hours have been so difficult.  The tears wore out my contacts.
Image001 (8)  
As Wilbur was some pig, Ramsey was some dog.  Together, with my niece, we picked Ramsey from a litter of nine at the breeders at the age of 2 weeks. He was born on August 8 – which would be Lily’s birthday two years later.   He came home to us, Thanksgiving weekend 2003. He graduated from obedience 1, 2, 3 and agility, completed the walk for guide dogs twice, and even tried therapy dog school.  This past February, he was pet of the month in the local community paper.
He was the best dog and our loyal companion. We will never forget you dear friend, thank you for the past ten years.
There is a place called Dog Heaven that is full of liver treats, clean lakes, and rabbits. We believe in that place.
Image001 (5)
RamseypetblessingRamsey
Image001 (9)
Dog Heaven has clear, wide lakes, filled with geese who honk and flap and tease. The dogs love this. They run beside the water and bark and bark and God watches them from behind a tree and smiles..
There are children of course. Angel Children.
God knows that dogs love children more than anything else in the world, so He fills Dog Heaven with plenty of them. T here are children on Bikes and children on Sleds. There are children throwing red rubber balls and children pulling kites through the clouds. The dogs are there, and the children love them dearly.
And. oh, the dog biscuits. Biscuits and biscuits as far as the eye can see.
God has a sense of humor, so he makes His biscuits in funny shapes for His dogs. There are kitty-cat biscuits and squirrel biscuits. Ice Cream biscuits and ham-sandwich biscuits.
Every angel who passes by has a biscuit for a dog. And of course, all God's dogs sit when angels say "Sit". Every dog becomes a good dog in Heaven.

Cynthia Rylant’s Dog Heaven
Image001 (3)Image001 (1)
DSC01664photo (10)

Image001 (6)Image001 (4)
Image001 (7)photo (14)
I woke up Hopie this morning. As always, I asked if she had a nice dream. She answered, “I dreamed of rainbows, unicorns, and Ramsey.”
Dear Ramsey, thank you for the joy, the hikes, the laughter, the cuddles, the spray after a bath, the licks, the fur, and warming our toes during supper. XOX 
“I buried Little Ann by the side of Old Dan. I knew that was where she wanted to be. I also buried a part of my life along with my dog.”
Where the red fern grows.













8 comments:

  1. I'm wiping away tears. What a beautiful tribute to Ramsey. I'm so sorry for your loss. (((Extra hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I am so sorry. I am all weepy now. There will definitely a emptiness. You have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, KJ, I am so sorry. What a moving post. Losing a beloved member of the family is such a difficult thing to go through. My heart aches thinking about what you're going through. Ramsey is definitely looking down on you from Dog Heaven, thankful for the time he had with his loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so very sorry... Thank you for sharing your tribute to Ramsey.
    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh sooo sorry! Ive got tears in my eyes.. I know the love.. I know the loss.. I know the thankfulness for having had an opportunity to have had such perfect friend and unconditional love. How lucky your family was to have had such a special pet.
    ((((HUGS))))
    I hope you'll get another puppy sometime soon. Ive found though we cant ever replace them getting a new friend sure helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such sad news. May God give you and all those who mourn him the strength to get through this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about the loss of your faithful friend. It's not easy to say goodbye even when you are prepared for it. This is a touching post and I hope you gain strength from all the cherished moments spent with him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to hear about your dog, Ramsey. I believe in dog heaven, too, and know he will wait there til he can be reunited with you again. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!