Thursday, October 3, 2013

Crafting with my kids: St. Francis Day

IMG_6657

Tomorrow, is the feast of St. Francis.  To celebrate we have been working on little St. Francis dolls. I found a very clever tutorial for making cork people over at Appleshoe. It is an easy way to make people from wine corks and wooden beads – the possibilities for little people projects is  limited only by your supply of corks.

IMG_6154 

The facial features for our Franciscans were modelled after the packaging of one of our family’s favourite cheeses, Saint-Paulin.

IMG_6169

IMG_6663

One of our family’s fall traditions is to attend a pet blessing service.  You can see Ramsey (our black lab) waiting to be blessed.

He does not stray too far from that box of Milkbone biscuits on the alter.

IMG_6143

Happy St. Francis Day and happy crafting,

signature

4 comments:

  1. Your St. Francis dolls have the sweetest faces. I love all the possibilities of making these for all kinds of holidays. Happy St. Francis Day. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. St Francis of Assisi lived a remarkable life. At first glance I thought they were little wooden people that you painted, then after I started reading discovered: corks!
    The link you gave to the winter cork people got me thinking they could be made into Scandinavian tomte for a Scandinavian Christmas! Good thing we have a good supply of corks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw the winter people I thought the same thing! They look very Scandinavian.

      Delete
  3. Oh.. I love your cork people so much! What a wonderful idea!
    I simply must use this! Happy St. Francis Day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!