Saturday, October 26, 2013

Crafting with my kids: Milkweed Mice

IMG_6855

October has been a difficult month at the day job – as well, Lily seems to have quite a bit more homework this year that we haven’t had the time or energy  to do much crafting together.   This little craft project stems from a recent hike.

A few weeks ago, we took the dog for a run on the beach.  On the shoreline, we noticed the milkweed  exploding.

  IMG_6181

IMG_6183

We collected the spent pods and made these little mice. You find the instructions at 5 orange potatoes.

Instead of drawing ears, we cut tiny pieces of pink and white felt.

IMG_6187

 IMG_6852

Have a lovely weekend! Last night, my sister and I took Lily to see Les Miserables.  I suspect we will be singing the songs all weekend.  It was wonderful.

IMG_6198

signature

6 comments:

  1. What a fun project. Josie and I should go on a hunt for milk weed pods. Darling pictures, as always. Josie and I are going to be kitties out of gourds for her school pumpkin patch contest. Fingers crossed it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative and sweet the mice are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your milkweed mice are adorable! I think I pulled all the milkweed off the fence when I was weeding....maybe I can still find some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the others before.. the mice are so cute!! The felt ears are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the milkweed mice! we used to make floating ballerinas out of hollyhocks and throw them in the creek. then of course there are daisy chains and ponochio noses (how do you spell that!?) or some just call them helicopters!
    and as for Les mis, I just saw it friday night and am going back to see it again this afternoon! My daughter is in it in the ensemble. awesome show!
    have a great sunday!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim and I have seen the musical at least half a dozen times. We are looking forward to taking the girls. I've read the book at least half a dozen times (unabridged) and I've seen the recent movie three times.

    Just to say I love it and am glad you got to enjoy it.

    Love the mice...crafting hasn't happened in forever in our world. I miss it - you and the girls did to, I bet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!