Saturday, August 10, 2013

Disney Character Sightings: my retrospective

IMG_6345

By far - more than even Space Mountain - my favourite part about Disney is the character sightings. I have loved this part of Disney since my first visit (age 9) in October 1981.  At that time, Disney admission was $11 for a child (sales tax included).  I am the one with the stylish green track shorts and “bangs” cut by self. 

Florida19800002

Here is the back of our 1-day Disney passport.

Florida19800003

We travelled as a family to the Disney and Epcot a few more times in the 80s.  I don’t think I returned to the Magic Kingdom until July 2006.  We brought my {then} eight year old niece  and it was Lily’s first opportunity to meet the princesses.  During this visit, Lily was 11 months and spent most of the day  in the stroller.   These photos were taken at the Magic Kingdom character spot.  We waited for what seemed like ages to see the princesses, but didn’t mind because it was important to my niece.    By the time we reached the princesses, Lily woke up to meet them.

DSC01193

DSC01190

DSC01195

Snow White left a red kiss on Lily’s forehead.  Lily seemed pleased. 

In 2008, my family travelled to Florida to celebrate my dad’s 70th birthday.  On that trip, we didn’t spot the princesses, only the mean step sisters.  This is one of my favourite character photos from that visit.  I am holding Hope (she is about five months old) and my sister is holding Lily.

Florida2008 084

Jump forward to this year’s trip, we dined with the princesses at the Norwegian restaurant -  (Askerhus) at Epcot.  It was a wonderful experience. If you want to meet the princesses all in one spot, this is the place to do it. The girls enjoyed everything about this meal.   Before the trip, I felt bad that I hadn’t made any special bookings (the trip was planned very quickly) and I had heard that you have to book these sorts of things months in advance.  By chance,  I just checked online 24 hours ahead and found a lunch reservation for 1:40 pm, it was perfect.

IMG_5877

IMG_5891

IMG_5898

IMG_5886

This trip and on prior visits, we have had a chance to meet traditional characters.  Here is Lily in 2006 and 2008.

DSC01211

Florida2008 080Florida2008 078

DSC01208

This year, we met the traditional gang at the Epcot character spot.  Here is a shot of Minnie.

IMG_6321

The kids also had a chance to meet Stitch, Chip and Dale, and one of the newest Disney characters, Duffy the bear.

IMG_5706

IMG_6332

IMG_5873

Other than the princesses, probably the highlight of this year’s trip was meeting Alice at the United Kingdom pavilion in Epcot.  She was an amazing actress and so fantastic with the girls. I don’t think I will ever forget this meeting.

IMG_6350

Lots of magical memories were made.

signature

5 comments:

  1. Oh what a beautiful post! You have many beautiful pictures (and memories too)!
    The picture with the step sisters made me smile because of Lily's posture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your past pictures...especially your picture from 1981. Your girls are just precious. There's nothing better than a princess sighting while at Disney!!

    PS. Emma will be traveling with her High School marching band to Orlando and staying at Disney in November. I was just accepted to present at a National conference at the exact same time also in Orlando. Looks like we'll be heading to FL in Nov. We haven't told Josie yet. It's a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting ! November is the perfect time to visit Disney, I suspect the lines will be small and weather comfortable. I hope you have a magical Disney experience.

      Delete
  3. What wonderful photos! Disney is so special, and you have captured these memories so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo with the wicked Step Sisters and the one with Pluto lying on the ground with Lily - how sweet!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!