Friday, August 9, 2013

Champagne Birthday

IMG_5990

Things have been quiet in this little space as we have been on vacation (subject matter for future posts).  We returned from our Florida vacation in the wee hours on August 8th, which also happened to be Lily’s  so-called champagne birthday.  Until six months ago, I had never heard of this term, she learned it at school. 

champagne birthday:  Another term for a "golden birthday" which means you turn the same age as the day you were born.{Source: Urban Dictionary}

Given the timing of our travel, we kept things simple – a few friends for dinner.  The theme was Florida flamingos which was fitting because we just returned from Florida.   One of our vacation souvenirs were the Lego flamingos, pictured above.  The girls made them at the Downtown Disney Lego build.  You can find the build instructions here

There are tons of great flamingo party ideas in blogland (Kim K’s post about her daughter’s amazing flamingo party has stuck in my mind for over a year. I then found this pinner’s board and this party over at a Bushel and a Peck).  Lots of fun ideas out there.    Here are a few details from our party.

To make a garland, we used some flamingo postcards from the 60s (my grandma’s collection) and we added a few more from our vacation. (I scanned the older ones to my flickr stream here)

IMG_5948

IMG_5947

To one of the postcards, we attached a tropical hair clip.

IMG_5949

I found these plastic Flamingos at Dollarama.  We now have a family of eight.

IMG_5952

Given it was a champagne birthday, the guests decorated their own champagne glasses for water or pink Fruitopia (Fruitopia is Lily’s favourite special drink).

IMG_5962

The guests made their own pizzas (I rolled out the dough, they did everything else). There was hardly anything left over.  For dessert, Lily asked for sundaes instead of birthday cake.  We used waffle bowls and they made their own sundaes.  The meal was Lily’s favourite things, except I forgot to put out two menu items – dried seaweed and whip cream (not together).

IMG_5959

IMG_5977

We also made sunprints from shells we brought back from Florida.

IMG_5955

IMG_5958

IMG_5989

She and her buddies played multiple rounds of pin the feather on the Flamingo.  I found the large flamingo at the Dollar Tree.  I also purchased another which we used to decorate our gate (not shown).

IMG_5964IMG_5967

Each of the guests went home with a little flamingo drawstring backpack (fabric: Michael Miller Shore Thing, designed by Emily Herrick).

IMG_5980

So now she is eight, how did this happen?

IMG_5971

Have a great weekend!  We are celebrating my dad’s 75th this weekend and my husband’s birthday next weekend. 

I just learned that August is the most popular birthday month in North America!

signature

7 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a champagne birthday. How adorable are those glasses and all your special decorations. I can't wait to read about your FL vacation. Welcome home!!! Birthday blessings to all your sweet family members!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to the 8 year old! I've never heard of a champagne birthday before nor have I seen a flamingo party ~ what a fun and unique theme. Thanks for sharing the link to the flamingo LEGO instructions, I'll have to share that with the LEGO construction kids in our household. Very impressed with the flamingo drawstring backpacks you sewed. Looks like it was a colorful day with nice weather.
    Your 8 year old reminds me of Little Debbie, the girl on the boxes of baked goods... do you happen to have Little Debbie in Canada? Do you see a resemblance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do see a resemblance to Little Debbie! Most supermarkets in our area carry Little Debbie cakes. I am going to have to show Lily!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday to your daughter. The party decorations are so creative. I love pink flamingos!
    The Lego ones are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Lily!!
    I am so glad I learned this about the champagne birthday and although I cannot celebrate it myself (ಥ ̯ ಥ) I can do this for my children!! Your party is fantastic - the theme original!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Champagne Birthday Lily!! Your Lego flamingos turned out fantastic. I've always had a thing for pink flamingos:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet and fun party!! Way to go Mom. I've heard of Golden but not Champagne...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!