Friday, July 5, 2013

Summer Bucket List: Cherry Picking

Cherry season began this week.

IMG_5539

My aunt and uncle have a large cherry tree so we were able to pick our own. Lily’s favourite part of the day was climbing the tree.  Hope’s favourite part of the day was sampling the fresh fruit.

IMG_5762

IMG_5765

IMG_5761

IMG_5768

IMG_5775

IMG_5773

After giving some of our harvest to neighbours and the day camp, we still had tons left.  Given that cherries spoil quickly,  I decided to freeze the remainder.  I needed to take the pits out first. { I used this pitter. It works very well.}  Now we have tons of cherries for shakes, smoothies, and popsicles. 

Over the summer, I am encouraging the girls to journal about their summer experiences, so I print out their favourite photo from the batch and they write a short description in their own words.

IMG_5545

Happy summer,

signature

5 comments:

  1. Mmm... sweet :)
    My great uncle had an orchard half of which were cherries, so this post brought memories back.
    As for journaling experience - I like that- and would love to try it with my kids. Thank you for sharing KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cheeries and I LOVE that youre encouraging your daughters to journal like that. You are such a good mother! They are going to have the best childhood memories.
    have a great weekend
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! Cherries are in season in MI too. We have two orchards right by the house. That's on the bucket list as soon as we are settled into our routines back home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect summer activity ~ gotta take advantage of them while you can...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!