Monday, June 3, 2013

Crafting with my kids: Egg Carton Lady Bugs

IMG_5359

We have been reading several books on beneficial insects, which led to a craft project, and a shipment of 1000 lady bugs.  We didn’t plan to release them all at once (they can be refrigerated for about 2 months) but when the bag  opened the little critters made a rush for their freedom.  Both girls were a little apprehensive at first, I think it was just the sheer number of them.

photo (1)

photo (2)

IMG_5293

photo (4)

IMG_5309

IMG_5303

You can find the project instructions for these egg carton lady bugs here.   It is a quick little project for when sudden overcast skies strike.  We used googly eyes instead of sequins and painted out spots. The leaves are just scrap foam.

IMG_5358

IMG_5360

Happy Crafting!

signature

8 comments:

  1. That's an impressive bag of ladybugs!! Wow. I might have been a little apprehensive and excited all at the same time. I always enjoy your crafting with kids posts. Josie's 2nd birthday party had a ladybug theme. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was ordering our caterpillars yesterday (thanks to your butterfly post for reminding me to do that, btw) I noticed that they sell ladybugs, too. So you got 1000!?! How interesting that they can be refrigerated up to 2 months... The lady bugs you made are a cute project, what a bonus that they are made from egg cartons from the recycling bin! I plan and hope to do lots of arts & crafts with my kids this summer while they are home from school. I want to gather up all of our stuff we have been collecting over the years (cardboard, corks, glass jars, etc) and do recycling crafts, this craft will be a good one to add to the list. This reminded me of another lady bug craft that my blogging friend in Germany did http://katieclairescottage.blogspot.com/2012/06/easy-crafts-for-kids-paper-ladybug.html we have already tried it, but might make more again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing photos of your caterpillars! Thank you for introducing me to Karen's blog, I look forward to exploring it further. I can't wait to see what recycled crafty projects you come up with this summer!

      Delete
  3. Yay, we love ladybirds and had a great time last year when we had our own little hatchery going on. Your egg carton ladybirds are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A thousand lady bugs?!! Wow! Awesome - I too - didn't know they could be ordered (here they can't for sure). The egg carton lady bugs are a project I could use for the etsy craft party in June. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love googly eyes! they just make crafts come alive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a good mom! I would have never thought of ordering lady bugs in a million years! What a great idea for your girls. and the little egg carton bugs are cute. you could paint little round rocks too!
    have a great day!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've often considered lady bugs but I've never done it...of course we do butterflies often!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!