Thursday, June 13, 2013

Canopy Tent

IMG_5607

There are certain projects on my sewing “bucket list” that I am really committed to. This one had a sense of urgency.  The girls are growing up so fast, that I predict a time (sadly) when they will no longer have any interest in a play canopy.  

I decided on a pattern – McCalls M5827.  This pattern calls for about  15 yards of fabric and I am committed to using what I have.  I gathered together any large pieces from my stash including vintage sheets.  I saw another blogger used vintage sheets and although they are mismatched the tent comes together with a cohesive look.  The Strawberry Shortcake fabric must be from the 80s.

 

IMG_5580IMG_5605

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_5614IMG_5576

Here is a photo of the inside.  The seams are all serged for a finished look.  The canopy top is supported by a hula hoop.

IMG_5345

The girls are really enjoying the canopy and I was really happy that I was able to finish it to enjoy over the summer.

Happy crafting,

signature

12 comments:

  1. That is so adorable, I think I need to make one of those, thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fantastic! I am sorry I didn't have one for my kids to play inside. I can only hope to make this for my grandchildren one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a magical tent. It's absolutely darling. Another post to share with my Mom. It looks perfect with the toadstools in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a kid, but I'd love one too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way the light filters through all those gorgeous floral fabrics is wonderful. What a fantastic place to play!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fabulous!!! what a wonderful idea. I bet the girls are loving this. and you are so right that before you know it they will out grow some of these things.... but not yet...
    enjoy!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh - you are so awesome! I always meant too but my urgency level never quite reached that level - the sheets are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! That is beautiful KJ. The sheets and fabrics you chose blend so nicely together. They must just love their sweet canopy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow !!! Thats so great. I love your choice of sheets and vintage lace. The girls must love it. That's a lot of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 15 yards of fabric is a lot! What a lovely vintage sheet stash you have! And I totally understand about making things before it's too late, so sad, but true that our children grow up & get so big :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you used the word committed. I have really struggled to find a balance with my new life and work priorities...but there are somethings I still want to do, am still committed to do. Your canopy is amazing. I love all the strawberry shortcake prints from the 80s! It blended perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!