Saturday, April 20, 2013

merimekko, with love

IMG_5161

Yesterday, I had a chance to lose myself over my lunch hour at the special Marimekko exhibit at the Canadian Textile Museum.   Bolts and samples from 50s, 60s, and 70s were on display.  For most of my visit, I had the exhibition to myself – what a treat.

IMG_5145IMG_5168IMG_5140IMG_5139IMG_5151IMG_5148IMG_5154IMG_5153IMG_5142

There were also some garments on display.

IMG_5162IMG_5164IMG_5159IMG_5158

The exhibit is a “retrospective look” at Marimekko’s Finnish origins and the designer’s introduction to North America.     Here is an interesting tidbit, in 1960,  Jackie Kennedy was photographed in a cover of Sports Illustrated in a Marimekko dress which gave the brand instant popularity in America.  Great fabric, simple lines – the rest is history.

john-f-kennedy

Via SI

Happy Weekend,

signature

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely treat you had!
    I love Marimekkos's prints and the bold use of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to have a lovely escape to see this exhibit. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet that was an interesting display. So bold and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a treat!
    Marimekko is very unique isn't it? I'm a fan of their signature floral, I bought a bag made with it and have sewn my daughter a lazy days skirt using it.
    And I would have never guessed that Jackie Kennedy was on the cover of SI!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!