Monday, April 1, 2013

French Canadian Sugar Shack: Le Domaine de L’ange gardien

IMG_4920

For Easter weekend, we made the nearly 5 hour road trip to the Ottawa area and had a chance to visit the sugar shack of  Le Domain de L’Ange Gardien [translated field of the guardian angel]  on the Quebec side.  I highly recommend this experience.  The pancake breakfast is excellent, complete with split pea soup, sugar pie, and unlimited maple syrup and pancakes.  You can see a photo of woven L'Assomption sash in the bottom corner.

sugarshack

There was a horse drawn sleigh ride (and snow on the ground!)

IMG_4904

IMG_4914IMG_4916IMG_4926IMG_4922

The maple sugar is poured out on the snow and wrapped on a stick to enjoy.

IMG_4933

It was a blessed Easter and lots of memories were made.   I will leave you with a few photos of the glow-in-the dark Easter egg hunt (difficult to photograph). {Idea from here and we will definitely do it again}.

IMG_5002

Have a great week!

signature

9 comments:

  1. What fun adventures you have! The maple sugar candies remind me of something from Little House on the Prairie. We did a glow-in-the dark hunt too. It seemed like it took forever for dusk to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I wish I could be there! Is that anywhere near Montreal or Toronto? I'll be visiting family in June so hopefully I'll be able to pop over and visit such a unique place. It would be such a beautiful learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Agy, how great that you are visiting Canada. This sugar bush is about an hour drive from Montreal. There are summer activities in this area, but the maple sap will not be running in June. The sap run is a special time of year and requires precise weather conditions between night and day. There are some educational pioneer villages in Ontario that are open year round and visitors can experience how the early settlers lived.

      Delete
  3. That was the best sugar pie I've tasted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a blast. I would love to do something like that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true that a picture is worth a thousand words, yours even more.... Everything looks heavenly beautiful! Thank you for sharing the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like it was a fun learning experience and I see that you had snow for Easter, too. Putting glow sticks into the plastic eggs & having a glow in the dark egg hunt would be very entertaining for the kids!
    (we ended up doing our Easter egg hunt indoors due to not perfect weather & outdoor conditions, but was still fun for the kids & that's all that matters, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun. Reminds me of Laura Ingalls Wilder and sugar snow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just like Little House on the Prairie! Do you know, my daughter has been nagging me to do the sugar snow ever since she read LHOTP and I promised her we'd do it up at Whistler .. then we all promptly forgot and now there's no snow. What a bad mother I am :(
    So lovely to see your photos, I remember the post you did on the maple sugar making which was so interesting. I'm so sad we don't have maple trees where I am!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!