Monday, March 11, 2013

Rainbow Dance Party


IMG_4677
I have been working through an extremely stressful period at the day job and have not had the opportunity to post about a very special milestone in our family. 
My little one turned five and she had a rainbow dance party.  We held the party at the Movement Lab, a dance studio where Lily and I take tap classes.  It is a  beautiful studio and part of a revitalized 1914 vaudeville theatre which has been transformed into a circus training school. 
As the theme was rainbows and leprechauns,  the instructors’ playlist was full of Celtic inspired tunes and dance exercises for the children.  The teachers also had Hope’s favourite One Direction song “Live while we are young” on the playlist for the finale freeze dance. The joy in Hope’s face heard the first few bars blare from the speaker was a very special moment.  Below are a few photos and the crafty details of how the party came together.
IMG_4630IMG_4915
A rainbow dance party is not complete without a rainbow.  I made the crepe paper rainbow (inspired by this post).  I achieved the ruffled effect by ruffling the streamers on my sewing machine (technique here, since the tension on my machine only goes to 9, I have to increase the tension even further by slightly tightening the spool and then it ruffles nicely). The rainbow is made from three pieces of foam core. The pot of gold is black contact paper.  It came together far faster than I thought and it was a nice addition for the dance exercises. 
I had quite a bit of crepe paper left over so these crepe paper rainbows (inspired by this) were an easy project. 
IMG_4640
IMG_4599
I also made rainbow ribbon dance wands. You can find the project instructions at Captain Crafty.  I think the best size brush to use for these magic paint brushes would be minimum 2.5 inch.  Three inch works best with four ribbons.
IMG_4678IMG_4679
IMG_4621IMG_4672IMG_4670
The party bags were easy.  Brown lunch bags with a foam shamrock.
773060e6839f11e2b85522000a9e28f2_7
Rainbow headbands from Target.
IMG_4938IMG_4916
Rainbow goldfish, a gold coin, and a stack of rainbow lego.  You can find the “You’re the gold at the end of my rainbow” printable here and the lucky charm treat bag here.
IMG_4919
I also made a big number five with coffee filters, foam core board, and spray paint. The project instructions are here
IMG_4685
It was a special day. It was the first time she had her friends come to a birthday party {her birthday falls between school breaks so we usually vacation this time of year}.
In lieu of gifts, we accepted non-perishable donations for the food bank and Hope absolutely had no problem about that . 
Peace, love and rainbows and I look forward to seeing what you have been up to!

This post is linked to


signature

13 comments:

  1. Dear Kareena,
    How lovely! I hope that things are calming down for you at work. We are captivated by your beautiful family, and I particularly love the photograph #4621 above...

    Thank you so much for your blog post; you help us remain connected to you,

    Love
    Matthew
    and Maggie and Malcolm and Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks so very, very happy!!

    Love the little birdie clothes pins on the rainbow clouds!!

    I also love her little jacket in the last photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - I am sorry that work is so stressful and busy - hopefully, that passes for you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful theme for a birthday party. Josie loved her rainbow party a few years ago too. So many fun decorations. How neat that you take tap lessons too! I hope your work stress starts easing up. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday to Hope!
    You have really had your hands full with the party and everything looks marvelous!! I am amazed! There are so many details carefully put together so I am sure the party was a blast! And she agreed to donations instead of personal gifts!! Well not many are the children to make that "sacrifice". Bravo for her!
    P.S. You two take tap classes???
    I am envious :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to see you again, I have been thinking of you and hoping all is well :)
    Happy Birthday to the 5 year old!!!
    What a colorful, fun, creative, crafty birthday party! I've never seen those magic paint brushes before... you did a wonderful job making your daughter's day special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat party idea! My girls would love a dance party. The ribbon dance wands are awesome! Love all the little party details. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would never had guessed she was only 5. Her facial expressions seem so much more grown-up and wise!

    A dance party is such a neat kids' party idea (a grown-up one too for that matter). I would love a dance party sometime. :)

    Happy Birthday to a sweet little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brilliant idea KJ, it certainly looks like the birthday girl had a great time! I used to take tap lessons, I loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like it was a fabulous party!! I love those rainbow streamers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like all the children had a great time! Love all the rainbow decorations you made for the party - they looked wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a fun birthday! I love the dance party idea and the rainbow ideas are great.. the paint brush handles with ribbons.. awesome!
    I bet everyone had a great time.. especially your adorable 5 year old!
    have a great day!!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful and COLORful party!! Thank you so much for linking up and sharing!

    Warmly,
    MaryLea (pink and green mama)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!