Saturday, February 9, 2013

Lunar New Year & Dim Sum


To those celebrating this weekend, happy New Year! here is this year’s photo.  {The dresses are thrifted, the parasols are from Toronto's Chinatown.}
Jan-12-13-1
I have been working on a little journal project.  Mandarin-shaped chip board journals were on sale for 1 cent at Michaels a few weeks ago.  I started to collect our past CNY photos and stamps.  This is the idea…I am not very good scrapbooker, but I do like the idea of having a hard copy of important photos collected in one spot.
IMG_4813
For CNY, I like to go out for dim sum with my workmates.  As it is a brunch / lunch meal, it is also fun to do with children, if your kids are adventurous eaters. I would definitely recommend Grace Lin’s book 'Dim Sum For Everyone" to set the mood.  Dim Sum refers to little dishes of buns, dumplings, and cakes served with tea. 
IMG_4806
I am not an expert in these matters. I had the opportunity to visit Hong Kong about 10 years and ago and was very intimidated by dim sum, but time has changed that.  In my experience, there are two sorts of dim sum restaurants, the sort where the rolling trolley (pictured below) makes a continuous round and you take what you would like and the server will mark down on your sheet what you take.
IMG_4804IMG_4803
At other establishments, you can pick from the menu and the dishes will be brought out in order (this is my preference, but perhaps not as authentic, and usually  more expensive).  Here are few photos of dim sum dishes at the Crown Princess in Toronto.
IMG_2021
Fried Snow Peas
IMG_2010
Pan Fried Turnip Cake
IMG_2011
Pan Fried Chicken & Veggie Dumpling (Japanese Style)
IMG_2012
Steam Lamb Meat With Chu-Hou Sauce
IMG_2013
Shrimp and Vegetable Steamed Rice Noodle Roll
IMG_2015
Baked Salty Egg Yolk Paste Bun
IMG_2014
IMG_2016
Shrimp Dumpling
IMG_2018
Sign for more please (it was delicious)…!
IMG_2020
IMG_4801
Happy New Year!
signature

6 comments:

  1. I really wish we lived closer to celebrate CNY with your sweet girls. We will be having our own mini celebrations tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Chinese New Year to you. The dim sum meals look delish! When we visit chinatown in Brisbane, we head over to a big restaurant called China House for a yum cha lunch similar to your dim sum lunch I suspect. My favourites are the seafood dumplings, mmm! I haven't been game to try the chicken feet or tripe tho'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love Chinese food, but have never actually tried half the things you wrote about and it so looks delicious. Me and my husband are - what you refer to - adventurous eaters!!
    Love your idea of making a compilation! This year's photo is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year's photo is fabulous!! You never cease to amaze me with the great deals you find, thrift store dresses & 1 cent chip board journals!?! All that food looks very interesting, maybe some day I will venture to try it as it looks mostly gluten-free and dairy-free (as most asian cooking is from my understanding).
    You know, I just came from the Craft Hope website, they just announces Project 20 which is going to China! Handmade bibs and diapers off to China...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family! your little girls are such picture perfect dolls!!! And dim sum is one of my top favorite things to eat!! I love the chicken's feet even though it grosses most of my friends out. Maybe I'll eat some dim sum this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!