Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy St. Valentine’s Day

IMG_4808

A few weeks ago, I purchased a sweet book  by Golden Books called “Vintage Valentines”. It was  a spontaneous purchase, but turned out to be a huge hit with the girls. Lily is now partial to old-fashioned Valentines, especially ones with dogs and cats.  In our explorations, we found a cute popcorn valentine  and she decided that she wanted to give out popcorn to her class on Valentine’s Day.  We decided on mini Orville microwave bags and found them on sale at Food Basics for $2.99 (8 bags).  Popcorn is the 5th food group for the girls (we actually use an 80ish air popper because we don’t have a microwave) and a fitting treat for Valentine’s Day -  you may recall those memorable scenes of Charles and Carolyn Ingalls enjoying popcorn in bed!

[I later found out via pinterest that someone else had the same idea - presentation is more sophisticated.} 

 

IMG_4176

IMG_4807

For Evangeline Hope’s Class Valentines {for her girl friends}, we found some cute button hair clips at the Dollar Tree and used this "Cute as a Button" free printable.

IMG_4809

This year, we started our class Valentines early and worked on them slowly over a few weekends.  I wanted to allow sufficient time for the girls to write the names out by hand and equally enjoy the activity. Last year,  I left the Diana Ross Valentines a tad too late and there were grumbles as if it were a burden (which sort of defeats the motivation behind the holiday!).

As for my Valentine, this year my sister suggested we try a Valentine swap.   She created a beautiful heart box with vintage playing cards that belonged to my dear grandpa.  The box was exploding with little treasures of the mostly non-chocolate variety (I have been off chocolate for over a year!).

IMG_4834

I am not a very good paper crafter so I was a little nervous about this challenge.  My sister really digs old fashioned valentines (as much as Lily) so I made her this box, with a Meg Ryan 90ish touch.  The paper doily and trim are all from the 60s or 70s (thrifted). It was fun to see how we both used a heart box and achieved such different results!

IMG_4790

PS in the cheesy cute department -   you can buy mini honey bears at the Dollar Tree and vintage image here !

IMG_4178IMG_4177

Valentine hugs,

signature

11 comments:

  1. So many darling Valentine ideas. Popcorn is often our Friday night dinner. Sending you a BIG Valentine hug!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Caroline and Charles's talks in bed while eating popcorn. She always had her hair in a long braid. That was when she really wove her magic on ol Charles... Happy Valentines Day KJ. Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Valentine's Day to you and your family KJ. There's nothing like those vintage valentines. They rock, or should I say, they POP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your popcorn valentines!! I'll have to remember it for next year.
    Kelly at Little Wonders' Days

    ReplyDelete
  5. all of your Valentine photos/creations are so bright & cheery & perfect for Valentine's day.
    PS we pop our popcorn in a pot on the stove
    PPS if your girls enjoy Little House on the Prairie maybe you'd be interested in taking them to the museum the next time you are in Minnesota... I hope to read all those books with my daughter in a year or two :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You and your sister have really created little masterpieces! They are divine. And thank you for sharing the link for the book - it's quite tempting!
    While I was browsing through the post, reading and admiring your projects, a tiny voice in the back of my mind kept saying: "She's off chocolate for over a year!!
    You are really tough! I cannot be off chocolate even for an afternoon! :)

    Happy Valentine to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously clever idea...no chocolate for a year - how can you stand it?

    Brave soul!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is lovely. Funnily enough I bought the valentine card book too, isn't it just gorgeous? I do love the wording on the popcorn boxes. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love vintage and definitely love the vintage theme you have going there for Valentines. We had popcorn too, except we had cauliflower popcorn :-) Happy Valentines!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It warms my heart so see the renewed enthusiasm for the "vintage" valentines! The "updated" versions passing for valentines since the 70's just haven't had a single drop of sweet charm or magic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know Dollar tree had those mini honey bears! I will have to pick some up- great idea with the vintage valentine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!