Sunday, January 6, 2013

Three Kings Day: Rosca de Reyes

IMG_4025

Happy twelfth night!  To celebrate we sampled Rosca de Reyes. It is the traditional Mexican wreath bread served on Three Kings Day.  I picked up ours in Toronto’s Kensington Market (Pancho Bakery).  There is a little figure of baby Jesus baked in the bread.  On my first cut I found the figurine. The bread is a sweet bread, a little on the dry side.  It reminds me a bit of panettone.

IMG_4771
“The bread is cut carefully because hidden inside one piece will be a small baby doll, traditionally made of porcelain but now more commonly of plastic. The hidden doll symbolizes a safe haven where the infant Christ could be born safe from Herod's army. Whoever gets the slice with the baby has to play host to the whole group at the next party, held on Candelaria on February 2nd—exactly 40 days after Christmas.” {source: Experience San Miguel}
We also worked on these three kings collages using salt and water colour, recycled Christmas cards and sandpaper {based on this Crayola project}.  We received a letter from friends in Bethlehem , so Lily added that stamp to her project. I think this is our first stamp from the PA.
IMG_4022
IMG_4023
School starts tomorrow so back to routines.  I may be a little sleepy -  Downton Abbey returns tonight, yeah!
Have a great week and to my Orthodox friends, best wishes!

Updated: My sister just returned from Barcelona and sent me these photos of the three kings celebration - see how the cakes are presented?




signature

9 comments:

  1. You always inspire me to find more crafting time with the girls. You'll have to let me know if you have any special CNY crafts in mind. February 10th will be here before we know it! My husband and I are getting ready to enjoy a night of Downton too. That 5:50 alarm clock is going to be painful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy 3 kings day !
    In France they have a similar tradition, it's called an Epiphany cake, a little figurine baked in an almond cake... the person who gets the slice with the figurine becomes the 'king' or 'queen.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Gosh! What lovely figurine and tradition. We put a coin in the Christmas bread instead. Yesterday, on Christmas Eve the coin fell in the house, so that means everyone in the house will have good health, love and success this year. {Today is Christmas for the Orthodox Christians!}

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun thing! I didnt even know about three kings day. so does that mean you'll be celebrating again on feb 2nd? something fun to look forward too!
    have a great week
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet kings - your girls little kings collages are darling - great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute. We used to hide an almond and I knew other families that hid a penny.
    I sure did enjoy watching Downton Abbey. Have been looking forward to this all year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the girls' collages. What fun you found the babe in the first cut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Epiphany (as my parents call it)!

    A great way to craft with Christmas cards. I have so many! Going to have to try out that salt effect with my little one too. So neat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post made my day!!! I am here belatedly, but it still made my day! What a great celebration at your house!

    Believe it or not, I really did not know of the traditions surrounding this day until i was - well all grown up for a long, long time!!! :-) I love that you are giving your children the opportunity to learn and be included in the celebration that for so many cultures in Northern Europe and South America marks the end of the Christmas holidays.

    I rarely purchase from bakeries so I was completely unaware that the special cake was available! Yay! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!