Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Crafting with my kids: Puzzler School Photo Ornament

“And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow,
stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons.
It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags.
And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore…..



  Each school year, I end up purchasing some sort of school photo package with way too many “wallet size” photos. I really only want one “wallet size” photo for the girls’ school days book, but the purchase options are few and the digital option is outrageously priced that I end up buying the cheapest package. This weekend, we had a little Santa’s Workshop creating these jigsaw puzzle piece wreaths to fit all the extra wallet size photos. Puzzle piece wreaths are not my idea and we have tried puzzle wreaths in the past, but never for our tree. This is a very good activity for young crafters who like to glue and paint (like my 4 year old!) and they make nice gifts for grandparents.

Materials: recycled cardboard cut to fit a wallet sized photo, jigsaw puzzle piece, green paint, green glitter, mini pom poms or buttons for embellishment, glue, duct tape, ribbon for hanging}

IMG_4612IMG_4587IMG_4616IMG_4613
On the reverse of the wreaths, I applied some festive duct tape.  This tape comes in a variety of festive patterns and is available at Home Depot (2 rolls for $4.99, I have used this tape for all my holiday parcels this season).  The pom poms were hot glued (as you can tell from the strings (!)- we ran out of white glue (craft emergency).
IMG_4626IMG_4619
… Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.
What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store.
What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.”
Thanks for stopping by and happy crafting!
signature

7 comments:

  1. I'm DEFINITELY doing this with the girls. Brilliant!!!

    Christmas hugs to you and your sweet girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erm, for me, Christmas ain't coming from a store if i can help it!! I'm keeping up with the December crafting - going ahead full steam!! You girls do the same too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet. Tell me about the school photos, they are extortion of the highest degree. Roll on the KJ method, so much more personal too.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. your daughter looks just like you, doesnt she?!
    the kindergarden teachers where my kids went to school had the kids make these, so I used to have one of each of them, but now I only seem to have one of my youngest, (who is now 24..) but I have it hanging on my fridge!
    You are a great mom. I think Ive told you that before. I love all the crafty things you do with your girls.
    have a great day
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the handmade feel to it! At my kids' school they always have Christmas workshops where they sell what they make in order to raise money for their own projects/ needs/ didactic means. etc. and at least the children are the ones who gain in this case, so I don't see it as an extortion :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. my 2nd son used to be really into puzzles, so I'm sure we could find puzzle pieces around here to make something like this :)
    I see you are taking part in the Scandinavian Christmas series ~ can't wait to see your guest post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those turned out great!! I like how you simplified them for your children to work on...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!