Monday, December 3, 2012

Crafting with kids: Snow globe ornaments

IMG_4586
This weekend, we had a little Christmas crafternoon with a friend and her four little boys.  One of the crafts on the agenda were these little snow globe ornaments.  The turquoise trees are dollar store trees bleached and then dip-dyed in an Easter egg decorating dye. 
IMG_4575IMG_4576IMG_4581
My husband had a great suggestion that the boys would be interested in matchbox car snow globes.  Hot glue the tree to a hot rod.
IMG_4593IMG_4592IMG_4595
IMG_4590
IMG_4585IMG_3427

For the basic construction of the globe we used this Mr. Poppers Penguins  tutorial by Ugga Mugga and modified it a bit for what we had on hand.  This tutorial using plastic wine jars by My so called crafty life is also a great idea, but I could not find those particular plastic wine glasses.  This craft definitely requires adult supervision and assistance because of the hot glue involved as well the construction requires making a small cut in the top of the plastic for the globe to hang. 
The kids were really pleased with their finished globes.
Have a great week and happy crafting,
signature

9 comments:

  1. adorable! and your hubby must be brillant! I love the tree on the little car idea. I bet the kids did too! I have to remember this stuff for when my grandpies are bigger!
    have a great week!
    xoxo
    ps.. your daughter is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josie and I have plans to make these. Love the idea of using Easter eye dye after bleaching the trees. I've used other things, but this would be so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! My favourite the ones with the cars carrying trees! That's precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute and creative! I'm adding them to my pinterest idea board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kids did a great job making their snow globes. The tree on the car is brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. bleaching the trees then coloring them turquoise with Easter egg dye is simply brilliant !

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are very very cute! Trees on cars? Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so lovely KJ. We have an assortment of decorations made by the children over the years and I love getting them out each Christmas. I'm sure you'll feel the same about these.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a cute idea! I just got a Christmas tree this year and i'm in dire need of homemade ornament ideas! I just made a few felt ones and posted the DIY on my blog. But i'm gonna try these too, except i have to scale it down. My tree is only 4ft. Hurray for dollar stores!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!