Friday, October 12, 2012

Toronto’s Creativ Festival

The Creativ Festival takes place in Toronto twice a year.  It describes itself as “ a comprehensive interactive marketplace and Canada's largest consumer show dedicated to sewing, knitting, quilting, beading, needlework, scrapbooking, diy decorating, crafting, fibre, textile and paper arts and more.”

I haven’t posted about the festival before, but it is a twice a year tradition for my sewing pal and I (it’s our 5th festival!).   The fall festival is taking place this weekend.  We always find it inspiring and it energizes us to get sewing.  For me, today’s highlights were learning how to paper piece hexagons and finding a fabric Advent calendar that I intend to complete before December 1st.

Fabric Advent Calendar panels were very popular at the festival. Here are a few samples of what was on display.

photo (2)IMG_4329IMG_4328IMG_4319

We were very delighted when we spotted a bolt of the UK’s Makower (Henley Studio) 2011 and 2012 advent calendar panels at the  Lens Mills booth for an amazing price (less than $10).

My pal picked up the train advent (2012) for her boys

Image via Makower

and I picked up the Angel Advent (2011 collection), which I plan to put up in the girls’ bedroom

angel-advent-calendar-300x300

Image via Hulu Crafts (UK)

The Lens Mills booth is a crazy treasure hunt. It is amazing that we spotted the panels.   There are about five aisles or so that look something like this.  I break out in a sweat.

IMG_4325IMG_4324

For me, the other item of interest was the opportunity to take in a very interesting paper piecing demonstration. I picked up all of the supplies to start my first hexagon project.

IMG_4327photo

There were also some interesting fondant displays, like this sewing machine cake, which included a tomato pincushion and various other notions made out of fondant!  I think a tomato pincushion birthday cake would be perfect.

IMG_4311IMG_4309IMG_4308

I also loved these sewing machine cookie cutters.  One cutter set included scissors and a thimble.

IMG_4317

There are a number of crochet and knitting exhibitors.   The crochet Ferris wheel and carousel were darling.

photo (5)photo (9)

We had a marvellous time and left the festival feeling plenty inspired.

Wishing you one crafty weekend,

signature

7 comments:

  1. Had the best time KJ! Everyone was pleased with my finds. Kiran is expecting his Mustang pillowcase to be completed by tomorrow! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Gosh!!
    I love all the advent panels you showed us! What remarkable pieces!! And I am sure your daughters will fall in love with the angel :)
    As for the fabric aisle - well I'd love to get lost there for hours!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You cracked me up when you said you break out in a sweat! what a fun place. love all the advent calender pics!
    have agreat weekend
    xo
    viv

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand your excitement. When my mom and I attend the one-a-month summer antique market, the night before feels like Christmas with the anticipation. It certainly is a perfect venue for you to enjoy. Happy sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, this looks like it would be a fun event.
    thanks for taking me along with a photo tour.
    that advent angel is beautiful.
    I would like to learn how to paper piece hexagons some day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's such a fun event to be at! i would love to attend! i was thinking of making lap quilts for the family this christmas, but if i don't start soon, i might as well target next season! hope lily's cantonese lesson went well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!