Sunday, September 16, 2012

Crafting with my kids: Constellations

constellation3

This past spring, the girls started working on learning the planets. My pal sourced a very reasonably priced fabric solar system panel.   She found hers at Fabricland and I purchased mine  on Etsy from here .  I hemmed the panel and inserted a dowel on top to  display in the girls’ room (yes, they share a room – bunk beds).

constellation1The solar system panel was a huge hit and they now know the planets backwards and forwards.  It actually became a bit of a bedtime routine.  Since the spring,  we have  moved on to the constellations so I wanted to introduce an activity which might help.

My younger daughter prefers a special miniature cucumber which only comes on a black Styrofoam tray. I save these trays, as they are useful for our crafty activities – they regularly take the role of  paint pallets.  In this project, we used them as lacing cards.

IMG_4076

Supplies: Styrofoam trays, yarn, bodkin, and paper piercer  {our reference is The Constellations by Chris Sasaki but there are tons of free charts on the internet}.  Chalk comes in handy to sketch the constellation and where to pierce on the Styrofoam tray.  Lily picked out the constellations she wanted to work on.

IMG_4084

IMG_4077

IMG_4083

constellation2

It was a fun activity. Lily (age 7) was thoroughly engaged, but it was too advanced for my four year old. She just looked through the constellation book and provided her input.

Have a great week and happy crafting,

signature

12 comments:

  1. How cool is that (and you, too)! My boys would love the panel of the planets and moons. I'll have to check it out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed, your girls know more about the constellations than I do!
    btw, my daughter has bunk beds, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. youre a good mother. oh, and i love those mini cukes too!
    have a great week.
    xo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, a wonderful hands on way to learn about constellations. Pinned it for future reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever idea..and who knew that Ursa Minor looked like a kite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool. Love the use of a Styrofoam tray. I save mine for paint trays and I think Josie would really love this activity. Darling pics of the girls. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant idea, you are such a cool mum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mean "where do you come up with these fabulous activities"???
    I love this! Not only it gives the basics of the universe (what are those shiny things in the sky?) it is also a fine motor skill drill. I remember having a book with stories / legends of how the constellations were reasoned/ understood by old civilizations around the world, but it's long gone. Wish I had it to show it/ read it to my children!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always share the best educational kid crafts!

    I think my daughter might like this project. I will have to add this to the to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun activity!
    When our son, David was little, he would look up into the night sky and say, 'look mum, the moon's got it's light on'. I always think of him saying that when I look at the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a neat astronomy project. We did some neat ones two years ago and I never did photograph them.

    Another fun book about constellations is by H.A. Rey the author of Curious George.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your constellation project! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/constellation-lacing/

    If you have other kid friendly crafts, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!