Friday, September 14, 2012

Aprons

For the shower, guests were encouraged by invite to wear an apron.  The invitation was purchased from here.  (I have brushed over the particulars, etc.)

invite

My apron was a clothespin apron (the crochet  ring is very special to me and was made by my friend Maya at Little Treasures).

mccall3

 

The fabric is reproduction “vintage McCalls fabric”  (and the blue gingham is from the Wizard of Oz collection).  I used Simplicity 2492 (pattern designer momomadeit, she makes beautiful retro aprons).  I tweaked the pattern so that it is reversible and used jumbo ric rac instead of bias tape.  There are lots of variations on the clothespin apron - you can find a free tutorial here, and Simplicity 2011 and 2079 are also excellent options.  When the bride saw my apron, she squealed that “so reminds me of your basement” (made me smile as our childhood basement was dusty, but happy place full of patterns).

vintagemccallsfabric

mccall1

My sister is what I call an improv sewer. She whipped up these little aprons between feedings :) The fabric was thrifted.

babyapron

babyapron2

For the bride, I had my heart set on tulle.  I used the pattern from Liesl Gibson’s Little Things to Sew and turned the child’s tutu into an adult half apron. 

I found a bolt of polka dot tulle at Value Village.  My sister felt it needed something and embellished the waistband and hem. mccall4

tulle2

Aprons make me happy. 

Have a lovely weekend,

signature

7 comments:

  1. That giant pink ricrac and the gorgeous simplicity fabric get my heart racing about your little apron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable are YOU modeling your apron. Your sister and bride are equally sweet. Love that vintage reproduction fabric. The graphics are just splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those aprons! did everyone come in one like you asked them too? Your shower just must have been wonderful. nice to see you in the pictures too!
    have a great weekend
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aprons are happy things...and who doesn't need some tulle every once in a while? So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only conclude that the creative juices running between you and your sister are at high peak! Thank you for sharing more of the wonderful party and for the links! Everything you did for the party is superb and I've been browsing up and down the post, 'soaking' up all the details!

    {It gives me great joy and warmth in my heart to know the little ring is treasured! Thank you so much!}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful apron, no detail spared. I imagine the shower will be treasured forever in the new bride's (and the guests) heart.
    Loved looking at all your photos.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!