Sunday, August 5, 2012

Thrifty Medieval Refashion

IMG_0689
Lily is turning seven this week and for her birthday and instead of a party, she wanted to take a friend to Medieval Times.  Actually, she calls it “McEvil Times” and it makes us laugh so much that we don’t correct her.  She wanted a little maiden dress so I fixed something up in less than 30 minutes.
My local Value Village is a bit of a “flower girl frock” graveyard.  I often find flower girl dresses with stains, maybe wedding cake (??). I can’t pass them up because they are such great additions for our costume collection and they are so much nicer than commercial costumes. I found this {taffeta and satin} lavender number for less than $5 ($5 is my max for any dress).  It may not show it in the photograph, but it has many stains.
IMG_3467
I have been also lucky to find quite a few books at VV to prepare her for the event.
IMG_0738
To the dress, I added a little ribbon. My pal’s dear dad brings back this wonderful regal ribbon / trim from India. 
IMG_0737
Together with a bit of pink satin ribbon, it made a quick and easy costume.
IMG_0670
IMG_0681
She reported that she was very happy when  the blue knight gave her a sash that said to the “queen of love and beauty”! It made her day to receive a blue sash off a joust.
IMG_3492
IMG_3490
IMG_3477
IMG_3495
It was a happy day! thanks for stopping by,
signature
P.S. we started the day off with Challah French Toast (her favourite), so it was an extra special day!
IMG_0701

8 comments:

  1. Such pageantry. It must have been a wonderful experience, especially with such a beautiful refashion. I remember being taught about the medieval times in school and we were taught may pole dancing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetness!! Maybe we will run to the thrift store tomorrow!! We have the RenFest coming up and I am running out of time for what I wanted to do - this gives me new and simpler ideas!!

    I love that she wanted to do McEvil times rather than a big party!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to Lily! What a gorgeous birthday present! I am sure she loved the show immensely (can see excitement in her eyes). And she had the proper attire for it, which I must say you transformed wonderfully!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful attire for such a special day. Such a fun way to celebrate her birthday. Birthday blessings to your sweet girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a transformation, I bet the donor would have kept it if they had thought of doing that! And all for a fiver!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure do love a repurposing project, you are so clever (I will keep this idea for future reference) and that it was only $5 & only took 30 minutes ~ what a lovely transformation, she looks very happy in it !
    happy 7th birthday to her :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow! that's a great idea and so simple! i might just do that for halloween this year! I've been thinking about making a fairy costume (i've always wanted to be one since i was a kid, but i never got to be one sadly) so if i can find a short simple dress (or attempt to make one myself!) i can adorn it with ornate ribbon and sashes, and make a pair of wings and a wand. thanks KJ! You're such a crafty mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make me want to be a better father by reading things like this. I think you are a truly wonderful person, and mother. I made my heart grow three sizes bigger to read this. Happy Bday to Lily. I can't believe that seven years has passed that fast. Keep writing, so I can keep being inspired... Chuck

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!