Friday, July 27, 2012

Let the Games Begin!

IMG_0477

 

We are very excited about the summer Olympics and wishing the Canadian athletes the very best in London.

Right now, the girls and I are learning about the  Olympic flag (from the Olympic Charter) (you can also find educational tool kits here). 

The Olympic symbol consists of five interlaced rings of equal dimensions (the Olympic
rings), used alone, in one or in five different colours. When used in its five-colour version,
these colours shall be, from left to right, blue, yellow, black, green and red. The rings are
interlaced from left to right; the blue, black and red rings are situated at the top, the yellow
and green rings at the bottom in accordance with the following graphic reproduction.
The Olympic symbol expresses the activity of the Olympic Movement and represents the
union of the five continents and the meeting of athletes from throughout the world at the
Olympic Games.

 

When my husband was in teacher’s college, he worked on a teaching unit for the winter games in Lillehammer, Norway (1994). Since then, I have sort of taken on an interest in Olympics teaching units.  I adapted the Mother Huddle’s Olympic rings tutorial  with canning rings.  Hopefully, it will pass the branding police :)olympiccollage

Olympic Values: Excellence. Friendship. Respect.

IMG_0478

I thought I would share a few photos of the Hudson Bay shop windows in downtown Toronto.  The motto is “Show your colours.”

IMG_0450

IMG_0452

IMG_0455

IMG_0449

For those of you who collect Canadian Olympic paraphernalia, I picked up a some extra Olympic patches.  If you are a collector of these sorts of things, you can mention that in the comments or send me an email by August 6th. If there is more than one person I will draw a name.

IMG_0458

Let the games begin!

signature

6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using canning jar rings to create the Olympic rings. You can bet I'll be doing this craft with Josie this weekend. We're equally excited about the games. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are ready!! We always love watching the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have to look up what time the open ceremonies are on tonight ~ what an exciting time for London.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to save these ideas for the next Olympics. We don't watch tv, so the boys have no idea about the Games, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited for the Olympics! Just watched the opening last night and i was sooooo impressed! Loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just got back from our holiday last night, full of excitement about the games. I would love the chance to snap up your Canada patches, the children are Canada crazy and would give them a good home I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!