Monday, July 30, 2012

Festival of Quilts at Black Creek Pioneer Village

IMG_0562
One weekend a year, Black Creek Pioneer Village is covered with over one hundred quilts.    The quilts - both traditional and modern - are displayed in natural lighting throughout the village.   There are quilt talks and demonstrations.  It was a great opportunity to step back into the 1800s - as the girls are huge fans of Little House on the Prairie.  The little one kept asking where is Olsen’s Mercantile?
The visit was also a great photo opportunity.   For my birthday, my pal gave me an excellent photography book : “The crafter’s guide to taking great photos” by Heidi Adnum.  I highly recommend this book if you are novice who likes to take photographs of crafts.  There are many tips from craft bloggers and etsy shopowners using low to high end cameras.
I am  trying to improve my photography skills. I think all of these photos were shot in manual.  The sun was bright, so I had some trouble working with shadow.
IMG_0527
IMG_0558
IMG_0576
IMG_0586
IMG_0532
IMG_0620
IMG_0580
IMG_0587
IMG_0593
  {The fabric from the above quilt is Oh Canada! by Linda Lodovico for Northcott in support of Quilts of Valour Canada which delivers quilts to injured Canadian soldiers.  }
IMG_0625
IMG_0621
IMG_0626
“She was able to sit up now, wrapped in quilts in Ma’s old hickory rocking chair.
All that long time, week after week, when she could still see a little, but less every day, she had never cried.
Now she could not see even the brightest light any ore. She was still patient and brave.”
- when Mary comes down with scarlet fever
IMG_0608
IMG_0610
A lesson on spinning and dying above, and in a one room school house, below.
IMG_0604
I loved this double wedding ring quilt, but I had some difficulty capturing the muted colours.
IMG_0628
It was a wonderful afternoon and celebration of the quilt. 
signature

7 comments:

  1. I love quilt shows! Seeing them in natural light must have been a real treat, lucky you!

    You did a fine job on the photos KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have enjoyed this a lot and it really is a treat for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special day. How fun that you were able to share it with your girls. My mother makes the most beautiful quilts. I should share one of her latest projects on my blog sometime. Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! That looks like so much fun.

    I am totally in a Laura mode right now as we've been listening to the books as read by Cherry Jones (we listen to them at least once a year).

    I love the black quilt with the floral appliques on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treat to see such lovely quilts...and to play pioneer for a day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished reading about the quilt fest at BCPV on another blog! Too funny! Wish we'd been able to go...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like fun! There's a similar village in Michigan that we like to visit on our yearly trip. I love the photo of your girls at the desk :).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!