Monday, July 2, 2012

Celebrating Canada Day

IMG_3022
I meant to post yesterday, but I put the little one to bed last evening and next thing I knew I fell asleep next to her.  We have been wiped from the extreme heat and swimming over the past few days.  Our community outdoor pool opened on Friday and Lily has made it her goal to pass the “deep water” test this week (eesh, am I ready for this?).
June has flew by. Thursday was the last day of school and last weekend, I celebrated my fortieth birthday with family and we also had Lily’s ballet recital.  I worked backstage helping out with the dancers and quick costume changes, but I was able to view her dance on the monitors.  She was in two numbers (Act 2 and 3 of Sleeping Beauty) and I was very proud of her efforts.  After four years and seven recitals, she has decided that she is not going to continue with ballet.  She wants to do more singing with her dancing, so she’s considering musical theatre.
lilyballetrecitalYesterday, we celebrated Canada Day at Queen’s Park ( a large park downtown which is also where the provincial legislative buildings are located). A couple of the dancers from our provincial public broadcaster TVOntario were on stage and Lily wanted to make sure she saw them.  Evangeline Hope kept asking when Will and Kate would appear.   She remembers seeing them last year on Canada Day and I guess it is how she associates the day.
IMG_3034  We also did some Canada Day crafting. Using this tutorial, we made some cork canoes. 
IMG_3029
IMG_9414
And of course, the Canada Day would not be complete without sparklers at 8 pm. Right now, less is more.  Although I would love to attend the big fireworks celebrations on the waterfront, the girls would be so, so cranky staying up that late. 
IMG_3040 I don’t think I will never tire of the wonder of a good sparkler.
IMG_3043 
Before I sign off, I thought I would share this little royal goodness.  Last weekend, my dad brought me a box of old magazines from the 50s and there was this great Weston advertisement from the June 1953 Coronation ceremony entitled “Enthroned in the Hearts of Canadians”.
canadaday20001
The Maple Leaf, Our Emblem Dear,
The Maple Leaf Forever!
God save our Queen and heaven bless,
The Maple Leaf Forever!
- Alexander Muir, 1867
{One of Canada’s unofficial anthems and said to be inspired after a maple tree in my neck of the woods}

Have a great week and for my friends and family celebrating Independence Day this week, wishing you a memorable one!

P.S. I have a little post on Toronto as a liveable city over at my bloggy friend Agy's blog, Green Issues.  You can read about here!
signature

9 comments:

  1. This was a lovely post with lots of fun updates. You've been busy. Happy belated Birthday...you young thing! Your girls are so darling. Enjoy the pool. This heat is unbelievable. I'm missing the shores of Lake MI but grateful for our little above ground pool. Happy Canada Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of fun things! I love seeing the girls in their costumes. Happy Canada Day, and belated birthday wishes. I passed another birthday last week, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun newsy post ~ you have been busy !
    happy birthday !
    happy Canada day !
    stay cool, nice ballet costumes, all the best to your daughter as she moves onto musical theater (maybe you'll volunteer to sew some costumes for the future performances??)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday!!! {now I want to kick myself in the butt because I could have sworn it is in July}. I do hope you had a memorable day!
    The photos of Lily at the theater are fab! She sure has an attitude!
    And last but not the least - Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How we love Canada and happy Canada Day o you. But more importantly I must say Happy Birthday KJ, it certainly sounds like you celebrated in style. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks like fun!! Happy birthday and happy Canada Day.

    Love the photos of Lily in her dance costumes.

    And the story of Evangeline Hope makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Canada Day! It's Independence Day today and i'm going to be propping my legs up in the sun and doing lots of catch up reading!

    Hope you had a wonderful birthday with your family too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all the pictures. I've had that canoe tutorial bookmarked. Thanks for reminding me about it :) Might have to try it out next week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!