Tuesday, May 29, 2012

How does your garden roar?

IMG_2806

The girls and I worked on a little dinosaur garden this weekend.  It started out with this gem I found on the side of the road. 

IMG_2732

It is some sort of large resin planter (over 1.5 feet diameter). I cleaned it up, spray painted it camouflage and drilled some drainage holes, then the girls took over.

IMG_2797 Woody thyme, sedum, small fern, hens and chicks. Some rocks and lava from past holidays.

IMG_2799

IMG_2810

IMG_2801

Roar!

IMG_2798The girls seem to enjoy working on themed garden projects, and so far they are pretty good at tending to the watering. 

Speaking of found objects, Nest full of eggs posted a wonderful photo of mailboxes as planters from the Bachman summer ideas house

mailboxplanter Photo credit: Nest Full of Eggs

I haven’t found a similar mailbox (still on the hunt!), but a neighbour was throwing out this one (there were already drainage holes on the bottom and the back – presumably to stop the mail from getting wet?)

IMG_2753

I spray painted it yellow and hung it on the fence!

IMG_2813

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by,

signature

12 comments:

  1. I just made Chris come over and look at your mailbox planter idea. Love it! Your girls dinosaur garden is just delightful. Josie would absolutely love helping with that kind of project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dinosaur garden and the intent expressions as your girls work on it!!

    I've seen mailbox planters before - but I say old mailboxes are hard to find around here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute dino garden! We have dinosaurs coming out of our ears, since Jacob is crazy about them, so we might actually make something similar.
    Also great job on the mailbox KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute dino garden! We have dinosaurs coming out of our ears, since Jacob is crazy about them, so we might actually make something similar.
    Also great job on the mailbox KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful idea!! I'm so glad you posted this. I just did a fairy garden this weekend with my grand daughter Marlaina in mind.. and now I will do a dinosaur garden for my torry pie!
    I love the mailbox idea too.
    So glad I stopped by today!
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love found object planters. I feature them often at Storage Geek. Your girl's dinosaur garden is the bees knees, I wonder if Wednesday would like one? I Freecycled her dinosaurs but I bet we could rustle up enough for a mini scene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how your mailbox planter turned out ~ the bright yellow & blue colors really pop.
    unfortunately my daughter is scared of dinosaurs, so no dino gardens for us :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is pretty darling. I love this mini journey back to Jurassic times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the mailbox in yellow. What fun. I'm afraid there won't be a garden this year for me. Oh well, next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great planter find! And a dino garden? That couldn't be more fun. Loving the happy yellow mailbox, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! We have a kids' garden, but maybe there would be more consistent interest if there were dinosaurs involved!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh - from a distance you would think that looks like a lovely potted up pot, but then your first close up picture and 'wow' - it lookd fabulous.

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!