Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Frozen Yogurt

IMG_2741

It was Victoria Day long weekend in Canada and the weather was absolutely perfect.  The May long weekend is the moment in time where gardeners in my zone feel the danger of frost has passed and it is safe to put out tender annuals.  We puttered around the garden and  had some family over for a barbecue, my husband made his favourite Korean steaks.

For dessert, I tried my hand at frozen yogurt.  I borrowed the Kitchen Aid ice cream maker from my girl friend. She had recently tried this idea from Dinner with Julie  where it is really just putting Liberte greek style citron yogurt in an ice cream maker (Julie uses a Cusinart maker).  

I am not a fan of ice cream (I am one of those people who thinks dairy is over-rated – don’t hate me), but my husband needs his ice cream fix, so I was interested in whether he would enjoy this.

IMG_2744_1

The Kitchen Aid attachment consists of three pieces, the bowl which must be frozen for at least 15 hours, a paddle, and an attachment to make the paddle spin.  As we have never made ice cream / frozen yogurt, it was a fun opportunity for the girls and I.

IMG_2734

The yogurt must be churned for about 30 minutes before it becomes frozen. 

IMG_2735

The girls devoured the lemon flavour, but did not care for the coconut.  The lemon is really like having a tangy frozen lemon meringue pie. It was definitely the hit with our guests. 

IMG_2737

… My husband found both varieties too sour and I noticed that a carton of President’s Choice peanut butter chocolate chunk ice cream was opened later that evening :).

Have a great week!

signature

11 comments:

  1. What a fun activity to do with the girls. Both of mine are totally addicted to ice cream and I'm sure they'd love to make homemade ice cream. I used to like it and then when I had a college job in food service of which I was in charge of the cleaning the soft serve ice cream machine at the end of my shift, I lost all interest in it. Call me quirky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks so good. I used to have a similar style of maker until it cracked. I used to make raspberry ice cream in it with fresh raspberries from the garden...yum..

    The yogurt idea is brilliant and I would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too found the frozen yogurt a little sour. I think using a pre mixed yogourt as opposed to a fruit bottom yogurt might remedy that. I also keep meaning to try making mango sorbet using a can of mango pulp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too found the frozen yogurt a little sour. I think using a pre mixed yogourt as opposed to a fruit bottom yogurt might remedy that. I also keep meaning to try making mango sorbet using a can of mango pulp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have the same white KitchenAid mixer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like frozen yoghurt but not as much as ice-cream. I completely understand your husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun thing to play with! My kids love making ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *runs to the store to get some ice cream right now!*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of the Kitchen Aid attachment. We have an ice cream maker that requires a lot of ice and can be a little cumbersome.

    Looks like it was a fun project for you and your children.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks fun! I will have to give that a try, we have a similar ice cream attachment for our Kenwood mixer (named after its designer Ken Wood!). We even, finally, have a bit of warm weather here in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Frozen lemon yogourt sounds yummy!

    You and my son have the same taste buds. He does NOT like ice cream and has point blank refused cow's milk from day one. It's so funny to have a kid that refuses ice cream cones and cereal with milk... By consequence, my own intake of milk products has gone way down which I don't mind. I'm not convinced that it's as great as they say either.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!