Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Crafting with my kids: Van Gogh’s Irises

IMG_2698 I hope you had a lovely Mother’s Day!  The girls work me up at 6:30 am and told me I smelled like lemon verbena.  Despite the hour, it was such a sweet sentiment.  They know how much I love Miss Beadle.    Later on, I took a long walk with the girls.   Lily wanted to hold the camera and take photos of flowers. I was a little nervous, but I gave in.  She was taken by these irises.
IMG_2687 IMG_2689
It made me remember one of her favourite toddler board books (well worn) - In the Garden with Van Gogh.
IMG_2700
The famous irises.
IMG_2701 We recreated them.
IMG_2675
i spotted a tutorial on Allison Ross’ art room pin board which is from Artsy_T’s flickr stream
Crease the paper lengthwise and dab your colours on one side of the page.
IMG_2676
 IMG_2680
Fold shut, smooth and then open up.

IMG_2677
IMG_2681
We used different shades of green oil pastel for the foliage.
IMG_2696
IMG_2697
It was a fun Mother – Daughter craft.  It was also reminded me of a trip. Many, many years ago my husband and I had a chance to visit Amsterdam on a shoe string budget.  We camped  at a very interesting urban campground (Camping Zeeburg) [the welcome sign reads something like Welcome to Camping Zeeburg, no hard drugs…eesh(!)].  Despite our skepticism, it was cheap and well situated so that we could visit the Van Goghs.   { For those of you near Ottawa, the Van Gogh exhibit is coming to Canada’s National Gallery next week for the entire summer.  I am hoping to coordinate a visit.}
It was a happy time for my family last night.  My husband received his doctorate from the University of Toronto. It has been a long journey and we are very proud at what he has accomplished.
IMG_2720
IMG_2708
I think the caption on the last photo is “how much longer until daddy crosses the stage?”
This art project is linked to Red Ted's Kid's Get Crafty Have a great day,
signature

14 comments:

  1. First of all "Congratulations!!" to your husband on his doctorate!! It is a great achievement and you all must be so proud!!

    Secondly, it is great to see how little children can appreciate the works of the old masters!! Your irises are fabulous (and must say the prints remind me of the Rorschach technique :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your husband. Graduate school is such hard work. What an amazing achievement.

    Your irises are simply gorgeous. A beautiful craft. Another one I want to try. Our yellow and purple irises are finally open in our yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Mother's Day, KJ! What a great way to spend time with the girls. Such a neat project. And congratulations to your husband... What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to your husband and family! Such a wonderful accomplishment...and the irises are lovely too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to you husband!!

    The iris craft is absolutely darling. The Netherlands is an interesting place - the Dutch are an interesting people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi KJ--
    Oh how I have missed you! You and your beautiful little crafty fairies have made such beautiful things! My favs are the sheep, irises, and the magnolia stained glass. You know that the iris is our state flower!

    Congrats to your husband...that is quite the accomplishment!

    By the way, you look smashing in that bathing suit. I wish I had your cute figure! Loved the vacation pics.

    Happy Belated Mother's Day to my favorite Canada Mom!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to the Mister on getting his doctorate! And the irises are beautiful, the paintings i mean! We do that fold over thing to make butterflies and bugs, but never thought to make flowers with them. Can't wait to tell my teacher friends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to your husband! How exciting for all your family.

    The iris prints are so pretty. Will have to try this with my daughter, she loves flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many congrats to your husband on getting his PhD, we know the long journey you were talking about. What a huge accomplishment for him.
    And the purple Iris flowers ~ they brought back memories, I remember several of them growing in a flower garden at my childhood home growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to you and your husband, KJ. It's been a long time coming - I hope you enjoyed it to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet Mother-Daughter craft. The irises look so painterly and artistic!

    And wow, to your husband. I have a few acquaintances with doctorates and I'm always amazed at the arduous road that leads to that final moment. Congratulations to him (and to you both)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations all round, such a lot being achieved in your household!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a brilliant lesson. I'm going to use it with my 3rd grade-thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your iris project! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/van-goghs-irises/

    If you have other kid friendly crafts, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!