Sunday, April 22, 2012

Earth Day

earthdaycomp We celebrated Earth Day with our annual park clean up, the event was chilly but well attended. 

For the past ten days, we have been working on a papier-mâché globe.

IMG_2592

IMG_2594

IMG_2620

I still can’t believe we persevered on this project. This was the first time that the girls and I have attempted mache.  I think it will be awhile before we try it again as it is very labour-intensive: three coats of newspaper plus drying time, one coat of paint and then one coat of Modge Podge.  That being said,  I was kind of delighted when they told their grandparents all about the project – I think a few memories were made.

earthdaycomp4edit

{The continent templates are from  One Charming Party}

I anticipate there will be a pause between posts for the next little while as things are more busy than I like at the day job.

Hope to be back soon - thanks for reading and Happy Earth Day!

signature

10 comments:

  1. Oh my Gosh! This is a BEAUTIFUL project you did to mark the occasion! Not to forget the clean-up, though!! Every little thing counts...

    Happy Earth Day KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am impressed - paper mache is labor and time intensive. Good job.

    Sorry to hear that work is so busy. I hope it slows down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never cease to amaze me with your creativity, you put me to shame I'm afraid. Your globe is fantastic. Happy Earth Day.
    btw the magnolias are terrific, we saw lots when we were in the States/Canada .. yours are so much bigger than ours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your girls will treasure these special projects. Best wishes with work. We will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love papier mache but you're right of course, it's very labour intensive. Your globe is perfect, and I'm sure will be one of the projects the girls keep tucked away in their memories for a very long time. Congrats for sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That might be the cutest globe every. So darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how cool!! what a great way to celebrate earth day. if it wasn't so labor intensive, it would make a great pinata! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful globe project. I can imagine you and your children spending quality time bonding over this project :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful globe project. I can imagine you and your children spending quality time bonding over this project :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your globe! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/paper-mache-earth/

    If you have other kid friendly crafts, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!