Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hot Cross Buns

IMG_9040

 

I have always loved hot cross buns.  My dad gave me my first Mother Goose book in 1975, and “hot cross buns” was one of my favourite nursery rhymes.

hotcrossbuns

Awhile back, I spotted some examples of felt hot cross buns on Etsy and wanted to make my own. I thought they would be a cute Easter gift.  I have been working on these little buns for the past couple of weeks. {I find these sort of hand stitching projects a welcome distraction!}

IMG_9037 

    The Victorian “Hot Cross Buns" graphic is from Happy Holidays. My pal gave me a bunch of Happy Easter felt stickers so I was able to repurpose a baking box - I always hold on to these window baking boxes.

IMG_9039

IMG_9037

If you are interested in the history of hot cross buns, Lavendar and Lovage has an excellent post as well as baking tips.  I plan to make these buns with my girls on Good Friday. 

{As for the felt version, they are really easy. I just cut two pieces of dark brown felt the size of a tuna can, machine stitched cream felt crosses to the tops and used a hand blanket stitch around the perimeter, leaving a hole to stuff. The currants are black 3D fabric paint.}

Happy crafting and thanks for stopping by,

signature

8 comments:

  1. Yippee for more felt food creations! Super darling. Your special package was mailed this morning. Fingers crossed it arrives before Easter. I tucked in some special things for the girls.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so creative! What a lovely gift idea for easter (and no calories either :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I love the baking box, too. My mother always makes hot cross buns for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute project!
    And the box gives a full circle to the whole project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are sweet - the felt sticker from your friend is just perfect.

    I was thinking about doing hot cross buns too - I am glad you mentioned them or I would have forgotten all about them!!

    I don't need more reasons to keep boxes though!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun KJ, your hot-cross buns are brilliant.

    I've never tried making felt food. And I have a ton of felt over here... I'll definitely have to add that to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ADORE hot cross buns and yours look particularly delicious. 3D fabric paint? That one has passed me by so I'm off to investigate further .. never one to miss out on something good you know!!
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM YUM YUM! I love hot crossed buns! LOVE! They remind me of Easter and my Mom!

    lea
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!