Friday, February 10, 2012

Dramatic Play: Valentine’s Day Post Office

IMG_3896

Lily spent last evening writing a message to her pen pal in California, so I had to smile when my sister sent me photos of her post office dramatic play center.  For Valentine’s Day, she often incorporates a post office theme into her lesson plans.  I think it is a great idea.   

I have a thing for post offices, the postal service, and stamps.   I was really into stamps in my childhood which extended into my teen years.  I liked learning about faraway places. A girlfriend of mine actually produced a little stamp magazine called Stuck on Stamps and I was a “staff reporter” .

Stuckonstamps  This was a piece I wrote (all on an old typewriter) on stamps of Israel.  I think I contacted the Israeli embassy in Ottawa for assistance.

Stuckonstamps2

Twenty years after writing this,I had the chance to travel to Egypt and Israel. 

So, let’s break down the elements of the post office.

Postal worker costumes.

IMG_3897

The details concerning the mail bag can be found here.

Old cubbies are mail slots.

IMG_3898

Word recognition.

IMG_3899

Lots of bins to sort mail.

IMG_3900 Lots of rubber stamps to cancel the mail.

IMG_3901

Letter writing station.

IMG_3902

Name cards for each student to assist with spelling.

IMG_3903

Measurement exercise – to compare the size of parcels and estimate shipping costs.

IMG_3904

Draw your own postage stamps.

IMG_3905

Postcards to send.

IMG_3906

and of course, a mail box.

IMG_3907

Books about letter writing.  My sister uses Lyn Swanson-Natsues and Anthony Lewis’ Special Delivery and Woody Guthrie’s Mail Myself To You for story time.

IMG_3908

Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend,

signature

8 comments:

  1. What a fabulous dramatic play area. I always enjoy seeing what your sister is doing with her students. My sister is a preschool teacher and I share these posts with her. I still have my stamp collection and my Aunt's stamp collection (which is now 60+ years old). I loved using my magnifying glass to look at all the lovely details on my special stamps. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun that you wrote for that magazine !
    there is a post office/mail delivery play area in our local children's museum that all of my children have enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic and the play area is equipped to the smallest detail and every aspect of post work included, it made me go back thousands of times to soak everything in!!
    The word I think best describes this is exceptional! My kids were listening to me read the post and were like mesmerized with all the pictures. Of course they, wanted the same. So please, when you have another dramatic play, save two places for my kids
    They we'll be overwhelmed!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sister really is an amazing teacher. I am always amazed at the details and thought that she puts in her dramatic play stations.

    You must have been seriously cool (okay so I am weird) when you were young (actually come to think of it - you still are). Love the magazine you and your girlfriend made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the play center, but I have to say that my favorite part of this post is that you still have a copy of Stuck on Stamps that you were able to share! I think that is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any chance you have these as a free printable?!? I would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this !! Do you sell the stamp and postcard template?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this !! Do you sell the stamp and postcard template?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!