Friday, January 13, 2012

Thrifty Project: Album cover art

IMG_1823

I wanted to hang some art in the awkward space above the girls’ doll house.  I picked up a few album covers at the Salvation Army thrift shop.  Both my daughters love the musical Oliver!  They like to run around the house says “More please, Sir” in a British accent.IMG_1821 IMG_1822

The Mary Poppins LP (1964) came with a very nice book.  The illustrations are fun.

IMG_1824

IMG_1825

To frame the album covers I used a “scrapbook memories frame” (2$) I found at the dollar store (this is what the packaging looks like) (I did not want to incur the expense of purchasing those special album frames you can buy at Urban Outfitters). The dollar shop frames were dark and I wanted them white, so I also painted them.  These frames do not have a glass, but clear plastic.

IMG_1826

I did have to trim the covers slightly to make them fit.

IMG_1842

This is how the albums look above the doll house.

IMG_8263

  Albums

The cost of the albums and frames worked out to 9$. 

By the way, this is our basement.  The space used to look like a film set for the Blair Witch project, but it is coming along.  

Have a great weekend,

signature

12 comments:

  1. As Mary Poppins would say, "It's practically perfect in every way." Lovely job. I especially love them over that precious dollhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They make really great looking wall decor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never think to look at album covers at the thrift store !
    It was interesting for me to learn that the house in the Mary Poppins movie was inspired by a mansion in St Paul, Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect addition to the basement. I think my parents may still have some of those albums!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old album artwork - I have that Oliver cover somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! And you can use the records to make bowls :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It never occurred to me that album covers can be used in such an exciting project! Wall art! I love this! And I hope you are going to show us your basement! I am sure it looks like one from a tale!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a great idea, and they look beautiful! i'm about to hunt them down at goodwill the next time i'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just darling! Have you thought about entering your dollhouse in the big contest? Because you should totally enter it and win.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The albums look great. I remember all of them from my childhood. I didn't know that the dollar store sold frames. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just watched Mary Poppins last night! I hadn't seen it in years. The albums look incredible up on the wall. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!