Monday, January 9, 2012

Crafting with my kids: Thumbprint Lanterns

IMG_1848

Happy Monday! 

My posting is a little light and I anticipate that it might continue to be that way for the next little while.   We have one home computer which my husband needs more than I do right now, he is submitting his doctoral thesis this week (yeah, long road) and needs to tweak the formatting, footnotes, etc. on the 300 page beast.

Lily has been working on a 100 book project over the past couple of months.  She has to read 100 books (or someone read to her).  We have been using the library more than ever before, checking out 10 books each week.  We borrowed two interesting books for Chinese New Year.  The first one was Rachel Isadora’s, “Happy Belly, Happy Smile”.

Beautiful illustrations, see the dragon.  

IMG_1813 IMG_1814 IMG_1815

The second one is Yu Li Qiong “A New Year’s Reunion” which is a children’s version of a common story in China – when father’s come home for Chinese New Year vacation. {Recently a documentary was made on this common story - migrant workers returning for Chinese New Year, the Last Train Home, I am hoping to see it soon, it is not geared for children though}.

The book also has beautiful illustrations.

IMG_1816 IMG_1817

I fell in love with those little red lanterns which reappear throughout the book and remind me of the lanterns I see in Chinatown.

IMG_1787

On Saturday, Evangeline Hope had one of her friends visit for a visit.  As her little friend was going to stay for about 3 hours, I wanted to have a quick crafty activity ready to break up the session.  Her friend also celebrates Chinese New Year.

We made these Chinese New Year skylines.

IMG_1834

The girls used strips of newspaper to create buildings, glued them to the paper and added red and yellow lanterns with their thumbprints or stamped them with corks.

IMG_1832IMG_1827 IMG_1831

After the paint dried, I just added a little detail with a sharpie.

IMG_1835 IMG_1836

IMG_1833

It was a fun little activity for small children (age 3.5-6) and the girls enjoyed it. 

Happy Crafting,

signature

22 comments:

  1. I love love love this craft! We're definitely going to do this at our house. If you don't mind, I'm going to share your tutorial on my blog this week. I just posted a couple of dragon crafts on my blog. Lots more to come over the next couple of weeks. Best wishes to your husband's thesis!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post KJ!
    You always have interesting projects being done for the Chinese New Year! This is one is adorable!
    Being a bookworm I must applaud on your 100 books project with Lily. Can you please write more about it? I am immensely curious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely craft! CNY is around the corner and we can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant craft idea - you are a great Mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very sweet lantern craft for kids.

    Wish your husband the best of luck taming that 300 page beast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Monday KJ--
    I certainly will be lifting some prayers for your husband. Best wishes for a successful thesis!

    This is such a great craft! Tori's preschool class will love this one. Thanks so much for sharing all your lovely ideas.

    Have a great week,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this project--perfect for the Chinese New Year. I'm pinning this to Printerest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are darling! I love the idea of using the newspaper for buildings. Good luck to your husband on his thesis. I was so glad to turn in my master's thesis!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm all too familiar with the looooong road to a husband's doctorial thesis ~ all the best to him !
    It would be fun to visit a China town... happy Chinese new year !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the kind feedback and encouragement regarding the thesis!
    Little Treasures - Lily's teacher adopted the 100 book project to coincide with the 100th day of school. When I attended elementary school, we didn't celebrate the 100th day of school, but it seems in North America, many elementary teachers now coordinate activities with the number 100 and the 100th day of school. In our terms, the 100th day usually comes up in late January or early February. I think she has 10 books left to read by Feb 9th, so we are doing quite well!
    Kim K - of course, I love swapping CNY ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this project! i thank you so much for sharing!!!! hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! 100 books!! That's impressive reading!!

    And I love your lantern pictures - what a great craft idea!! So pretty and festive!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome! I have looked through most of your CNY ideas and pinned a whole bunch of them. My husband is Taiwanese and we have two little boys, the older is 2 years old. I am planning out a week of tot school CNY activities for him and am so excited to have found so many fun ones here. I am following you in my google reader now and am so happy to have found your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh how wonderful! What a pretty pretty craft! And I love the sound of the book. You do have such wonderful ideas!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Chinese skyline is AMAZING!! What a creative & fun project! I would love for you to come link up at TGIF Linky Party - http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties - I KNOW my readers would love this too!!
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My four and I had a terrific time laying out landscapes and making our marks! Thanks for sharing your fantastic idea!

    http://domesticscribbles.com/?p=9799

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such an adorable project, KJ. I love that it's both the lanterns and the skyline. Beautiful and so clever! Good luck to both your husband and Lily on their "projects" :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love these so much! Very clever and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your idea in making lantern with thumbprint and I put it on my page :
    DIY Chinese Paper New Year Craft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  20. One of the most interesting Chinese New Year crafts for kids I have seen!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!