Sunday, December 11, 2011

Third Sunday of Advent - Longing – Our Typeface Ornaments

IMG_1538
We had a wonderful weekend jammed packed with activities and just a wee time left over for crafting.  The highlight of the weekend was seeing real live reindeer at the Distillery Christmas Market.  Meet Katie, she is pregnant (expecting in March) and her ancestors hail from Norway.
IMG_1546
At the market, I resisted the poutine (a French Canadian delicacy) because I have a physical check-up and didn’t want my family doctor to have any cholesterol concerns..
IMG_1548
We also worked on our gingerbread village. Lily says it is the land of sweets and the Mouse King is on guard.
IMG_1510
IMG_1512
IMG_1513
As far as crafting, this weekend’s project was some letter ornaments that were inspired by Anthropologie’s Typeface Letter Ornament
anthroletterornament

The girls and I went to work. I found the letters at the dollar store and all we needed were some book pages which were given to me from my grandfather - cut up into 1 inch squares and Modge Podge.

 IMG_1515 IMG_1514 IMG_1519 IMG_1517
After they dried (overnight), they looked like these {I drilled a hole}…

IMG_1524
..and added some gold cord and a bell. In hindsight, I think they would look better with a jumbo pompom.  Maybe we will change it up next year.
IMG_1539
Happy Third Sunday of Advent!
Lily read the third verse (translation via Fresh in Norway).  It is an incredible feeling for me to listen to her read. This week the verse was read with out any assistance.
Så tenner vi tre lys i kveld
for lengsel, håp og glede.
De står og skinner for seg selv
og oss som er tilstede.
Så tenner vi tre lys i kveld,
for lengsel, håp og glede.
We light three candles tonight
We light them for longing, hope and happiness
They stand there and light for themselves
and for us who are there
We light three candles tonight
We light them for longing, hope and happiness...

Oh yeah, I made a leg of lamb (the girls’ favourite dish) in honour of my Australian side.
This project is linked to
”" 
Tip Junkie's Tip Me Tuesday




signature

12 comments:

  1. I want to get down to the Distillery next weekend!

    have a great week.

    lea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The monogram ornaments came out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a productive weekend! The girls did a fabulous job with their letter ornaments and their very special gingerbread houses. I love all the little embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading through your post and looking at the beautiful fairytale like photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post! how fun that you got to meet a reindeer in person. those antlers are just cool!

    i like the bell on the letter ornament, but i'd also like to see what the pompom looks like. You could give your family members a choice between the two (bell or pompom) or even have them come up with their very own little thing to add, to make each letter extra-individual... they really make great ornaments, KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leg of lamb - it has been years since we've had lamb. I grew up with lamb. I tried lamb stew on the girls several years back and they ate it - but kids being kids they probably not like it now.

    Lovely shot of Katie and the ornaments make me want to go to the Dollar Store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christmas at your house is so much fun! The ornaments are Darling! I cannot believe you could resist those poutins. MMM

    ReplyDelete
  8. poutine!?! never heard of that before... learn something new everyday.
    you sure are having some wonderful memories with your daughters this Advent season :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure love the look of these letter ornaments! How fun to make with the kiddos! My boys would love these!

    I'm your newest follower! Stop on by sometime.
    I also have a linky party called Terrific Under Ten Tuesdays. It's for projects made for $10 or less. I would love to have you link up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very neat letters! I love Anthro, but it's over priced!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that letter turned out great and now I'm hungry for some poutine! I'd love it if you would add them to my What We Wore and Made link party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!