Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Krumkake

IMG_1331
Happy St. Lucia day! Today, is a very special day in Scandinavia and Christmas festivities.  I thought I would share one of my family’s Norwegian holiday traditions.  Krumkake is a traditional Norwegian Christmas pastry and loved by my family.  
This year, we received a very special gift.  My aunt passed away in 2010 after a courageous battle with ALS.  She loved all things Norwegian and had a very special Vitantonio Krumkake electric baker. My uncle gave the baker to my sisters and I.  It is a wonderful memory and very precious to us.
IMG_1325
This is the recipe we use for the krumkake batter. It makes about 35-40 krumkake cones. 
4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine (do not use any more than this and don't use oil as a substitute)
2 tbsp corn starch
11/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp vanilla (or 1/2 tsp cardamon)
Beat eggs lightly. Add sugar and beat lightly.  Do not overbeat.
add cooled melted margarine and vanilla (or cardamon).
Sift flour and cornstarch and add to egg mixture.
IMG_1326
The batter will be sticky enough to be dropped by spoon.  Use a dinner spoon and drop it in the center of each rosette.
IMG_1329
Close the iron for about 25 seconds
IMG_1327
Open the iron and quickly roll the pastry around the cone. It will be hot to the fingertips!  This task works much better if you have a helper.
IMG_1328
The rolls can be served plain or filled with cream.
We like to use Ikea’s SYLT LINGON jam, fresh raspberries and fresh whipped cream.
IMG_1337
IMG_1338
IMG_1340
If you have a canister icing tool, these work well to fill the krumkake cones.
IMG_1343 
Happy Santa Lucia Day,
IMG_1344
Yummy.
IMG_1333 IMG_1335
Scandinavian Christmas kicks off over at the Pickled Herring today.  I am really looking forward to this series!
Scandinavian_Christmas_button_small

signature

13 comments:

  1. My husband is sitting next to me on the couch this morning and I made him look at your post. How YUMMY and gorgeous are your krumkakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - I think I am going to drool. Those look absolutely fabulous!!

    How blessed you and your sisters are to have received such a loving memento of your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would die to have a toaster/ baker like that!! Absolutely precious! And the krumkakes are mouth watering and look soo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your Krumkake electric baker is gorgeous & must be very special to you...
    the Krumkake look super pretty especially with the paper doilies !
    Happy St Lucia day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, I forgot to mention that I think I have that exact same vintage turquoise & white bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so pretty! They look similar to Italian Pizzelle cookies, and the iron is also similar. The little ones seem to enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look absolutely yummy. We have something similar for Chinese New Year except that they don't look as pretty as this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How simply divine they look! What a special treasure to have from your aunt...

    Happy celebrations,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look amazing, KJ. What a special treat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want one of these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Vitantonio Krumkake electric baker is so pretty. And the krumkakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look wonderful. What a great way to remember your aunt by passing along a family tradition.
    Little Wonders' Days

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing way to remember your aunt, and to keep traditions alive...and your taste buds tantalized!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!