Sunday, December 4, 2011

Hope: Second Sunday of Advent

IMG_1443 

It’s been a jam-packed weekend with projects and activities. One of the of big undertakings was to put up a tree. I carried home a 6 foot tree from the tree lot. { I have brought a Christmas tree on the bus before, but it didn’t go over very well – hence, I walk.}  It’s now dripping with our favourite things. 

IMG_1446

IMG_1448

Toadstools, yards of pompom trim and Norwegian flag bunting, fortune cookies, birds, bird houses, and butterflies,  lots of “hope” ornaments, olive wood Nativities from our holiday in Israel, and handmade ornaments from Christmas past (one exception - for the first time, the girls have their own Christmas tree in their shared bedroom.  They have taken possession of every Nutcracker and ballet slipper ornament. If I get an opportunity that coincides with good lighting, I will post some photos.)

IMG_1447

IMG_1454

IMG_1444

IMG_1456

I did something different this year and so glad I did.  I asked the folks at the tree lot to cut off several branches from the bottom of the tree – not so that there were would be room for more gifts, but so the girls could play under there.  They love it.

IMG_1449

They have their Schleich Nativity  set up under the tree and have played with it for long periods of time.  The set doesn’t come with a stable. My husband picked up the stable from a Target dollar bin a few weeks ago when he was in the States.IMG_1457

IMG_1458

The tree skirt is new this year.  I used Hallmark Damask Ornaments for Free Spirit. An unexpected and fun pop of colour.

HM77Gold

For our Sunday supper, I made beef wellington. My husband found a nice cut on sale at the butcher. This is the third time I have made this recipe. It takes some coordination re preparation and timing, but it works out every time and the girls love every morsel.  

Before eating, Lily read the second verse of Advent.

Så tenner vi to lys i kveld,
to lys for håp og glede.
De står og skinner for seg selv
og oss som er tilstede.
Så tenner vi to lys i kveld,
to lys for håp og glede.


We light two candles tonight
We light them for hope and happiness
They stand there and light for themselves
and for us who are there
We light two candles tonight
We light them for hope and happiness...

Happy Second Sunday of Advent,

signature

5 comments:

  1. Lovely!! I love the huge butterfly on your tree - what a magical tree you have with butterflies and gnomes and toadstools in addition to the nativity.

    I also like your idea of having them trim off some of the lower branches. Brilliant Mama.

    A touching peek into your personal lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tradition. Your tree is gorgeous. I'm sure the dinner was yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are incredible! Carrying a six foot tree all the way home... OR carrying a tree on the bus! Hilarious, and I would have been cheering for you! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tree...You are a wonder woman lugging that gorgeous tree home! Have a wonderful week...
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I haven't known you very long, but this is the 2nd time I've noticed something Norwegian... do you happen to have Norwegian ancestry? 50% of my ancestry is Swedish. If ever you are in Minneapolis, you must visit the American Swedish Institute:
    http://www.asimn.org/ASI/Home.html
    they have many Scandinavian things, you'd love it !
    happy 2nd week of Advent :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!