Monday, December 19, 2011

Dancing Mother Ginger

This past weekend was Lily’s ballet recital.  It is based on the Nutcracker, although some musical theatre numbers were interspersed. Lily and I had the chance to dance together in the Mother Ginger scene.".

This is my costume without the hooping. There were five girls (aged  5 or 6) who were the polichinelles under my skirt.  Unfortunately, I do not have a photo I can post with the hooping in place.  I also carried an oversized cardboard mirror and a huge powder puff.

motherginger

The costume was designed and sewn by talented  Daniela, inspired by Art Stone’s version.  Art Stone has some of the best Nutcracker costumes.   If you enjoy theatrical costumes, it is a wonderful source of inspiration.

mothergingercostume

My makeup was so over the top, so I made this photo sepia.

Motherginger 

Not every production of the Nutcracker includes Mother Ginger.  When a production does include it, the role is sometimes played by a local celebrity, sometimes even a man such a linebacker (not sure why I was chosen?, hmmm).  Both my daughters know the story of the Nutcracker and the music by memory.  Mother Ginger is Lily’s favourite scene (followed by the Waltz of the Fairies and the Chinese Tea Dancers).  If a version doesn’t include Mother Ginger, Lily usually disapproves. 

The girls were excellent and I was so proud of them.  Mother Ginger gave each of them a wooden Nutcracker ornament after the show.  I found the wooden cutouts on Etsy.

IMG_1588

I also made Lily a Nutcracker place setting for breakfast.  I recently had some sheet music laminated, so it makes a nice place mat.  I covered a Christmas cracker in sheet music as well.  {The sheet music is actually Bach, sorry Tchaikovsky}. The plates and napkins were on sale at a ridiculous discount.

IMG_1596

It was a wonderful performance that my daughter and I are not going to forget.

signature

10 comments:

  1. How absolutely splendid!! What a special day for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am so stunned I don't know where to begin.
    Well, KJ! You are staggering in your Ginger costume - and you are a celebrity after this there's no doubt about that! I can only imagine how good it feels when you can join your children in a performance and it becomes a treasured memory especially for them.
    The wooden cutouts (you were thinking amazing details here!) and the breakfast set are unique!
    Now let me get back to the pictures and admire everything over and over again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful, KJ! All of it. That you take the time to bring all these details into the lives of your children.... it's just wonderful! Love the dress too - I'll bet it was fun to wear!
    Happy Holidays from our family to yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look awesome! What fun this must have been for you and Lily. There's nothing like watching your children performing on stage. My kids have all done it and it always brings a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. !!!
    how fun to perform with your daughter on stage !
    love all your Nutcracker details ~ such a special day for your daughter !
    thanks for sharing those links, I'll be spending lots of time at those soaking up inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My Goodness!!! KJ, you are the bomb. What an amazing thing to do with and for your girls. Such a lovely lifetime memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! I don't think I would look that good dressed up! You are one brave mom. I really enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, what a treat for you all. And the lengths you go to to make a day even more special. What lucky girls you have KJ. By the way, you look amazing!
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - that was a fabulous costume. It sounds like it went well - Congratulations to you and your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, it's official. You are my new hero. How amazing! I hope there is a recording of this performance somewhere... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!