Thursday, November 17, 2011

Tea Towel Projects

I have been wanting to post about a few tea towel projects because handmade gifts are on my mind and I think tea towels on their own or transformed are a fun gift which  can be easily personalized for the lucky recipient.  Recently, I was fortunate to find a 1972 calendar tea towel at Value Village.  I have been looking for a 1972 calendar tea towel for a long time (like almost 40 years…) to transform  into a pillow.  Here is the tea towel.
IMG_1153
I didn’t have the courage to cut it up and change the size, so i used the full length, added a zipper, and found a perfect fitting Ikea down insert. 
IMG_1209
The reverse is Michael Miller (Beatnik) fabric.
IMG_1205 I love tea towels. I have a little collection of linen souvenir tea towels from the UK and Ireland which are well used and loved.
IMG_1146 IMG_1147  IMG_1149
 IMG_1154 IMG_1156  IMG_1148
IMG_1157














I have also been collecting  tea towel refashion ideas on my pinterest board.
My pal recently transformed a souvenir Royal Wedding Tea Towel into a stylish apron. Craft Stylish has put together a good tutorial on creating a tea towel apron here.  Another tip: If you happen to have the Amy Butler domestic goddess half apron pattern, the waist band and straps from that pattern often fit very well on horizontal souvenir tea towels. 
IMG_0886  IMG_0962
Here is another example of another clever refashion.  She took a Glanta Ikea tea towel (a great buy at 2 for $4.99) into another stylish apron. 
glanta-tea-towel__0133260_PE288605_S4
The Glanta tea towel has a vertical print so you can cut it to the desired length and then add a waist band in a complimentary fabric. The left over fabric from the Glanta (which will now be plain white) can be saved for another project or made into a smaller tea towel like in the photo (this one used Sew 4 Home’s fancy retro border technique).
IMG_1007
So I hope you enjoyed these tea towel ideas. If you have any ideas that you have spotted, please let me know so that I can add them to my pinboard.  Also, if anyone has an attachment to the year 1979, I would be happy to send you this 1979 calendar tea towel.  Just let me know in the comments by November 24th along with your email address or how to find you. The towel  is on the smaller size, but perfect condition and now prewashed. {If more than one person expresses interest, I will draw a name }.
IMG_1198
Have a great day,

This project is linked to
Photobucket

and the Point of View Link Party.
signature

10 comments:

  1. Aren't you clever! I love what you did with the tea towel pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KJ this is fantastic! I have a couple of calender tea towels and have also been keeping them for future projects! Yours are amazing! Especially the first one -transformed into a pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cushion is beautiful, I love all you apron ideas here as well. I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a unique tea towel collection you have there.
    I had no idea there was a royal wedding tea towel !
    have you already seen this book? Craft Challenge Dozens of Ways to Repurpose Tea Towels?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the cushion - I remember stumbling on a huge stack of these at the thrift store and didn't have the money for them - when I went back they were gone. :(

    Of your well-loved I particularly like the Snoopy and Woodstock towel and the one that looks like it is an illuminated manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas for making tea towels into aprons, the only trouble is I tend to hoard and can't bear the idea of using them. But your cushion is lovely, so cheerful and fun.
    x Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super pillow! I love that you didn't cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love this pillow too! I have a collection ofold tea towels too. Thanks for linking up at Sew n Tell Saturday!im your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too comb the thrift stores looking for vintage linen towels. I love the pillow you made. you might like my apron that I made a road map tea towel. Please see it at http://janlynn-sewmore.blogspot.com/2011/02/fun-funky.html

    I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!