Sunday, September 18, 2011

Handmade Gifts: Tea Bag Wallets

IMG_0546

I am always amazed at the generosity of sewing bloggers who take the time and effort to create and post tutorials on their blogs for free.   Whenever I attempt a freebie, I like to give a shout out.  This tutorial is by Christy over at Is it Naptime Yet?  If you have a tea drinker on your gift list, it is a perfect and super easy handmade gift that takes very little fabric.

My husband only drinks herbal fruit teas, so I  made one of these wallets to hold his tea stash when he’s on the road.

IMG_0545

Open up them up and find a rainbow inside.

IMG_0544

These wallets were made with two fabrics (denim and quilting cotton - Bistro by Deb Strain for Moda.)  I used covered buttons and instead of a fabric loop,  I used lingerie elastic (I really love that type of elastic for fasteners).

As a twist, I appliquéd  one of my cross-stitch samplers (I think the kit was from Black Sheep Wools).

IMG_0546

Have a lovely week,
This project is linked to
Tip Junkie handmade projects

signature

9 comments:

  1. I love the Bistro fabric that you used. What a lovely idea. Such a sweet gift for you hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaah, your husband must have been bowled over! What a gorgeous idea!!

    I really like your blog!! I've signed up to follow you!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  3. KJ this is so sweet!
    We are tea drinkers in our family but never did it occur to me to make something like this for when we are on the road! The embroidery is also impeccable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - what a fabulous idea - I love, love, love tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great gift idea KJ, and so lovely how you've rendered it in denim(!) and Bistro. A perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the muted colors of the bistro fabric. The tea wallets are really cute. I've never seen this tutorial before. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect fabric choice! And a very thoughtful gift for any tea drinker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great gift idea, KJ. I LOVE that fabric. Your cross-stitch is always fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!