Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Thrifty Adventures: Picnic Blanket

High on my well-intentioned summer sewing was the Fit for a Princess Picnic Quilt , but the project has been moved back in the cue because of a more pressing project involving 6 yards of lavender eyelet.

I was feeling sort of blue (probably more embarrassed given the huge fabric stash) that we didn't have a fun picnic quilt to use on soccer night so I improvised.  I found a really neat tablecloth at Value Village (the fabric is canvas weight) with map of Florida, one of my favourite spots (lots of vacation memories spanning 3.5 decades).   

{In case you're interestest, my thrifty adventures usually go something like this: direct beeline to the tablecloths and linens, then to the sewing supplies, next little girl dresses', peruse the books, a  quick drive by of the toys and board games, and a last peak at the baking tins before hitting the checkout - what's your m.o.?}  


I used the Cottage Mama's tutorial and added a vinyl tablecloth to the back to make it waterproof. 
Instead of two ties, I used one tie and a D-ring.  All rolled up.

I love instant gratification projects! 
This post is linked to

17 comments:

  1. Ha ha, I follow pretty much the same path through the thrift stores!

    Great picnic blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find on the Florida tablecloth! Love this idea, and such a quick project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love knowing your m.o. I also peruse the ladies clothing section to find fun things for refashioning/fabric. :) The tablecloth-picnic blanket is so practical and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a glorious tablecloth. I especially love how you are repurposing it. Brilliant! Beautiful sunflowers too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out really cute...

    Through the clothes if I am looking for something but if not straight back to the books, through the linens, then through selected isles that include household type stuff - completely avoid toy isle unless I am looking for Scrabble games or puzzles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woman so amazing! Come see a Bastille day treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat job on this one KJ! For one thing I love transforming tablecloths (especially into clothes)but I've never used one as a picnic blanket. I must start thinking out of the box :)
    The fabric is so sweet and with the vinyl back all your worries are solved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! I've never thought of that one before..now to find a vintage tablecloth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea and that particular cloth is perfect for the summer outdoors. Will your girls fight over which area of Florida they get to eat their sandwiches I wonder? I bet my two would!

    As for the thrifty business, I also always head straight for the linens and tablecloths. I then take a really quick look along the clothes rails, not necessarily for the clothes themselves, but to check out the fabrics they're made with, particularly mens' shirts and woollen skirts. The bigger the better. Then the china. I never yield very much from my thrifting adventures which is probably because I tend to breeze in, go round like a whirlwind and then fly out again on to the next shop. Although when I do stumble across something good, it's very exciting indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great tablecloth and great idea to use it like that!
    xo vivian

    ReplyDelete
  11. clever use the thrifted tablecloth. i like that a lot!

    and i also like how you plan your VV visits... i usually go there with a specific item to purchase but eventually make my way to linens, for sure one of my favourite areas, second only to furniture which i rarely buy because my husband and i rarely agree.

    i love thrift stores...

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like heading straight for the dresses and skirts, and then the linens before finally hitting the books. if i have time, i'll check out the whole shop!

    yes, instant gratification projects are very very... gratifying!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great find!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comment.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  14. love this! What a find and what an amazing project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great find! this is a fun idea & looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! This would have been perfect for our trip to the beach last week too.

    Thanks for commenting on my blog. Hope you enjoy the watermelon lemonade! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That tablecloth is such a great thrift find! I like how you turned it into a picnic blanket. Clever and cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!