Sunday, July 24, 2011

Teaching kids to hand-stitch on burlap

IMG_7855
We had an Oprah a-ha moment this weekend. Lily said she wanted to learn to “hand sew”, this has been an ongoing process ( I posted about our warm-up attempts using various means such as lacing cards, lacing fortune cookies, and fruit mesh).
I recalled that my sister taught a class to stitch on burlap. This was a medieval theme.  I think the children were about 8 years old.  Can you believe they put together these beauties?
Stitch Back0002
DSC00004
Stitch Back0003
Stitch Back0004 Stitch Back0005 Stitch Back0006
For our workshop, I  cut up some white burlap, red yarn and large needle with very brief instructions.  At first I held the burlap but then she was on her own. She decided she would do a playing card series.  She is really interested in play cards (??).  She drew the outlines of a club and heart.  She’s still working on the spade and diamond. 

IMG_7851 IMG_7852
So proud, she showed the neighbours!
IMG_7854
I can’t believe she did this all herself. It has left me giddy!
IMG_7857Have a lovely week! This post is linked to

Beneath the Rowan Tree

signature

10 comments:

  1. I remember sewing with wool and burlap when I was a kid..a long time ago now! I love her efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow ! i'm impressed with the 8 yr old medieval theme hand sewing on burlap !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic. Such an amazing accomplishment. I love her beautiful smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, so well done! those girls are adorable!

    lea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll definitely have to keep these special first projects in a place of honour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She did a fantastic job, KJ. What a great idea. My oldest can't wait to learn how to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is fantastic!! Love the project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. her playing-card inspired stitching is sweet KJ! she should be very proud of herself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very, very neat - her smile in the last shot is worth a million bucks...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is soooo fun!

    I run Fun Family Crafts, a library of craft tutorials geared at kids of all ages. I would love it if you'd stop by and submit this to be featured! (I link to you, I don't post your tutorial on the site) Feel free to submit as many kid friendly craft tutorials as you like! http://funfamilycrafts.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!